Transporting Tiered Cakes

Decorating By mkmetz Updated 8 Feb 2007 , 10:17pm by DianeLM

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 14

I've got an order for a tiered cake (2 tiers) for a birthday party. Just wondering if there's any way to transport this already stacked or if the only way is for me to go to the site of the party and put it together and finish decorating there. Any ideas? Thank you!

13 replies
getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 14

I drive stacked cakes all the time. I put a dowel through the entire cake and they've never moved.

HTH

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 14

Make sure your cake is properly constucted (ESSENTIAL for cake survival)and then cut a dowel to the height of the cake, sharpen one end and use a mallet or hammer to tap firmly (not too hard) the dowel thru the cakes and cake board separating the two cakes. This will provide stability. When transporting use non-skid shelf liner under the cake and/or cakebox to prevent the cake from moving in the car during transport. Completely flat area in the car-no laps or back seats!

mkmetz Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 14

My next question--do you put the cake in a big box or just a regular sized cake box to fit the bottom tier without the top on it? Thanks!

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 14

I try and find a big enough box... but sometimes it's tough. I have transported small 2 tiered cakes in my round cake caddy... and larger ones in a big stockpot that I use for canning icon_biggrin.gif
Basically, I like anything that's going to prevent anything from falling on the cake, or touching the sides...

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmetz

My next question--do you put the cake in a big box or just a regular sized cake box to fit the bottom tier without the top on it? Thanks!

Here's a way you can use a one-piece box for tall cakes:
LL

mkmetz Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for including a picture--and that's a beautiful cake in the box! That's about the size of the cake I'm making. What type of plastic is over the box?

DianeLM Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmetz

Thanks for including a picture--and that's a beautiful cake in the box! That's about the size of the cake I'm making. What type of plastic is over the box?

It's cellophane, like the kind used to wrap gift baskets (not shrink wrap). Here's a thread with more pictures: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-57364-custom.html+box

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 14

If you're going to use fondant, you can use the large cake plates by Wilton (those circle silver things) and just wrap the cake loosely with saran wrap.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 14

do you mean stacked or tiered (you used both terms). Stacked likely is fine. I wouldn't transport a tiered cake.

mkmetz Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 14

Diane--thank you so much; your link was very helpful!

Also, I guess I was using the terms tiered and stacked interchangably--but I just mean one cake sits right on top of another--no columns in between. So, Diane's method looks like it will work great!

dodibug Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 14

To me, stacked/tiered is like tomato/tomahto. I feel comfortable transporting 2 tiers, maybe 3 if it's a small cake (the drapes cake was transported stacked but I also put two longs dowels thru it since it had a 2 hour ride) but if the cake is bigger/more tiers than that I have finished stacking on-site. icon_smile.gif

dodibug Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 14

Forgot to add-Welcome to CC!

DianeLM Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:17pm
post #14 of 14

To me, stacked and tiered mean the same thing. "Pillared" would be different and definitely could not be transported assembled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%