Help! Can I Bake 2 Boxed Mixes At Same Time In 10X15 Pan?

Decorating By bakersofcakes Updated 10 Nov 2005 , 3:51pm by bakersofcakes

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 17

I'm making a 10x15 cake with Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic White cake mix--b-day person wants ALL EGG WHITES icon_rolleyes.gif in his cake!

Wilton's 11x15 pan instructions say it needs 11 cups batter (box mix is 4-6 cups) & bakes at 325 for 35-40 min. (I don't have this pan, just read instructions @ Walmart.)

Sooo my question, is can I mix the 2 boxed mixes at once in my KitchenAid & bake in the 10x15 pan? icon_confused.gif Should I lower oven temp to 325 degrees? (Box says 350 degrees & to bake 9x13 for 32-36 min.)

I'll be baking cake tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for any help. icon_smile.gif

16 replies
deeniereenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeniereenie Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 17

I think you can do it. I would personally fill the pan to within 2 inches of the top, and if there was remaining batter, make cupcakes with it. I have baked what amounted to about a mix and a half in a regular old 9x13 pan.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 17

I'd use just a little less than that... I do 2 cake mixes in my 11 x 15 pan but I don't think the 10 x 15 would hold it without it spilling over.. use the extra to make a few cupcakes icon_smile.gif

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 17

I make two box mixes together all the time. I bake my cakes at 325 and for my 9"x13" it usually takes about 45 minutes or so. I usually bake it for a while and then check on it.
Good luck and post a pic when your done,
Heather

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 17

Definitely lower your temp to 325*. when you fill the pan, just make sure it is no ore than 2/3's full...not sure if it will use all of your batter, but you could always use the batter for another little cake!

Not sure what size KA you have, but I have mixed double batches in a 4qt mixer and triple batches in my 6qt!

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 17

I do one regular mix and then add a Jiffy cake mix (the kind that makes one layer) for my 11x15 pan. Fills it nicely without extra. I'l check on it's progress after about 45 min. or so.

bakersofcakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 17

Wow, such quick responses! Thanks to you all! icon_smile.gif My KA is a 4-1/2 qt.--I think, at least the bowl is a K45--but it is a 300 watt.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 17

I do 2 mixes in my KA that is that size and it mixes it fine icon_smile.gif

bakersofcakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks, Cheryl & the rest of you all. This is the neatest site--such friendly, helpful people!

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 7:15am
post #10 of 17

I also mix 2 cake mixes together, but I was told at my cake class to never to use Pillsbury only Dncan Hines or Betty crocker. Never tried Pillsbury, an satisfied w/ duncan hines oh the box inside has a chart on how much batter goes into a cake pan.

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 8:53am
post #11 of 17

I do it all the time...no problems so far.

bakersofcakes Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 17

SUCCESS!!! Thanks again, everyone!!! icon_smile.gif

( I had already baked the cake before I saw I shouldn't use Pillsbury.)

In this case, I used 2 boxes of Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic White cake mix & 8 egg whites (each box said to use 4 egg whites for pure white cake); mixed according to instructions with the doubled amounts of oil & water & baked in a 10x15x3 pan at 325 degrees for at least 1 hr. (started checking after 40 min.). The batter didn't fill pan 2/3 full, but cake ended up about 2 in. high. I didn't have the insulated wraps to put around the pan, so I wet 2 oversized dishtowels--not terry cloth, but 100% cotton--and pinned them on with safety pins. The cake ended up almost completely level--I barely shaved any off!!! All in all, I would not hesitate to use this method again. This was my first attempt at doubling cake mix.

My brother (his b-day cake) said I should always double the cake mixes & bake it in the bigger pan!!! icon_lol.gif

I'm posting this in case anyone else is wondering how the Pillsbury mix would turn out! thumbs_up.gif

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 17

The only mix I use is the Pillsbury, all egg white, mix. I've never had any problem. It's always turned out perfectly. I usually just mix one mix at a time, though. I've got a Pampered Chef 8 cup measuring bowl with a handle and spout and I pour my batter into there to measure how much I've got - I don't trust myself to measure the 2/3 in the pan. If I have to use more than one mix, I'll pour my batter all together in one large bowl and then stir it together, and then pour the batter into my pan.

cakefanatic Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 9:58pm
post #14 of 17

icon_biggrin.gif Great! I am glad everything came out fine. As for the cake mix even where I get my supplies they sell cakes and also told me that for some reason they don't come out well. Hey I don't know or even tried it so if it works for you more power to you. thumbs_up.gif
Do you have the picture that we may see?

Lupe usaribbon.gif

bakersofcakes Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 4:29am
post #15 of 17

Cakefanatic, I wouldn't have even tried the Pillsbury cake mix if I had seen your post before I baked the cake. I more than likely just got lucky & it was a total fluke. Of course, this cake was only for my brother's b-day, so I would have been forgiven for anything--even a "pancake"! icon_lol.gif It ended up about 2 in. high, and I don't know if that is the height they're supposed to be or not. I don't have the nerve to bake & decorate cakes professionally. I'd be a nervous wreck!!! Still, thanks for the info & I probably wouldn't try Pills. cake mix in any other flavor. I actually prefer Duncan Hines anyway--especially the butter recipe yellow--I just happened to have these mixes & needed 2 mixes for the pan. Oh, yeah, my brother decided he wanted to celebrate his b-day E-A-R-L-Y! so, I didn't have much time to do what I'd decided to put on his cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

As for the pics, sorry, but I didn't have a camera & my brother didn't have any film for his. icon_sad.gif

cakefanatic Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 6:31am
post #16 of 17

bakersofcakes icon_razz.gif , well I have been baking since '98 but off and on just for family and friends every little practice I can get, I will be taking more classes for other type of decorations, I only use pastry pride non-dairy topping, you know I bought the heating strips from wilton so my cakes can come out even on top it works but I read in a post someone using 2 terry cloths 100% cotton that work the same.bakersofcakes, so I say to you can if this is your passion it will come to you . Just by starting with your brothers cake thats a start, no offense I don't know if this is your first decorates cake or not. Also walmart carries duncan hines and super moist for a good price under $1.00.
Here's a picture of one of my cakes I done for my niece. icon_smile.gif
LL

bakersofcakes Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 3:51pm
post #17 of 17

Cakefanatic, Your cake is beautiful & I'm sure your neice loved it! Way to go & loved the evenly designed sides, too! I still can't get the hang of roses. I've been making cakes on my own for over 15 years--just holidays & b-days--started decorating with colored icing from the tubes @ the grocery store. Been making icing for at least last 10-12 yrs. Haven't been able to take any classes, yet, just read lots of books & checked out internet & of course, my mom taught me most of it. I just found this website/forum last month & I love all the help/tips from all of you more experienced bakers/decorators! Mostly, I do drop flowers & shells. I did manage to do daisies a few times. Actually, I love to do drawings on cakes & shaped cakes--real life look-a-likes. Until last week though, I'd never baked anything bigger than a 9x13 sheet cake. If I needed a bigger-size cake, I'd lay 2 cakes side-by-side; but I finally found a 10x15x3 pan at a yard sale & didn't want it to flop. So, in my case it's all for fun & believe me, that's a good thing because I sure have had disasters! icon_rolleyes.gif

I really do prefer Duncan Hines mix, too! They rise the best & most evenly. thumbs_up.gif

I'd also like to get the strips for outside of the pan, but haven't the $$$ right now (Christmas gifts to buy).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%