Who Else Has A Second Job?

Lounge By RaRaRobyn Updated 2 Nov 2005 , 10:01am by vitade

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:09am
post #1 of 54

I was just wondering because someone told me I had the two oddest job combination they'd heard!

I'm an actress and a cake decorator. I never thought it was weird because the two are both very creative!!

So anyone else have a second job that people think is weird combined with cake decorating?

53 replies
mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:25am
post #2 of 54

I an insurance-fraud ex-cop and a cake decorator!? Is that strange? I am!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:28am
post #3 of 54

Two jobs-I wish!
I babysit MON-FRI, work as a vet tech Mon evening and Sat am, groom dogs out of my home, cakes on the side- been averaging 2 a week, and the most time consuming job in history a SAHM.

I think the strangest thing--I don't take cake orders for the same days I groom dogs!!

Thank goodness the dogs are in the basement and the kitchen is upstairs but still the idea of it is gross!

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:29am
post #4 of 54

Mamafrogcakes...that DOES seem to be a strange combination.
I work for social services.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:32am
post #5 of 54

I am a Nail Technician. Although that doesn't seem too odd combined with cake decorating. Actually gets me quite a few customers!

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:36am
post #6 of 54

I am currently at stay-at-home mom, student majoring in Accounting, and have recently started teaching Wilton classes at Michaels.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:36am
post #7 of 54

Mamafrogcakes....that's great! Thought I was the only police officer who enjoyed cake decorating icon_biggrin.gif The cake decorating is completely removed from my day job...helps me to escape the realities & often dark side of life!

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:37am
post #8 of 54

I'm an engineer and a cake decorator. Not really two combinations one would put together. But i use cake decorating as my creative outlet

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:53am
post #9 of 54

I'm a dental assistant. I do fillings all day, and I like to make the sugary things that cause them at night.

kmcguire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmcguire Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 2:35am
post #10 of 54

I am a cake decorator but my day job is a police officer. I thought that the other men would make fun, but after seeing my cakes they dont.

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 2:41am
post #11 of 54

I am a military linguist/analyst and I bake cakes! They are truly on separate ends of the spectrum, I think!

ccbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccbakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 2:45am
post #12 of 54

I am a paramedic and I love it as well as the cake decorating!!

sterlingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sterlingcakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 2:56am
post #13 of 54

I'm a medical transcriber. Get to work at home so I get to go back and forth between working and baking, working and decorating, working and eating icon_smile.gif all day long.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 3:05am
post #14 of 54

Well my day job involves sitting in front of a computer (when I'm not in one of 3 daily meetings!) I'm a production scheduler, and I write massive spreadsheets and macros.

I also have 2 kids at home, which is why I started cake decorating in the first place! It's actually a fairly natural extension for me as I used to sculpt when I was in university.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 3:12am
post #15 of 54

My real job is Police Dispatcher and 911 operator.
But I would rather be decorating cakes....I'm trying to get a little business going now because I will be retiring in 3 yrs....Baking and decorating is a great stress reliever for me.....Maybe thats why there are so many police officers doing it....

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 3:42am
post #16 of 54

I go to.. school.. Not to exciting or different. LOL! icon_razz.gif

Sherryb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherryb Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:26am
post #17 of 54

I am a Hairstylist and a Nail Technician. I just opened a new salon.
Sherry

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:40am
post #18 of 54

I'm a contract analyst for a telecommunication company as well as running my cake business

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:51pm
post #19 of 54

This is great! What great feedback! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does something else. I've seen a lot of y'alls cakes, so I know you can still be a great decorator with a busy job as well!!!

Thanks girls!!

~Robyn~

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:08pm
post #20 of 54

Hey kerri,

I'm also a licensed nail technician and cake decorator.

Chefsaltyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefsaltyblue Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:26pm
post #21 of 54

I'm a registered veterinary technician, and have a personal chef service with the cake decorating. Busy, busy always.

kerririchards Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:27pm
post #22 of 54

Hey stephanie

I guess we are just continuing our creative sides at home as well as at the salon. I will bet there are a lot of nail tech's/cosmetologists who decorate.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 2:06pm
post #23 of 54

I'm an educational therapist, but don't bake cakes as a business - only for fun.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 3:08pm
post #24 of 54

I need some therapy after education, bonnie...help! I teach high school French and trying to get a business doing cakes to get out of it!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 3:50pm
post #25 of 54

kerri,

I love doing airbrush and freehand drawing on nails.

Have you tried marblizing yet? each nail comes out different.

Think I will try this on a practice cake and see how it comes out thumbs_up.gif

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 3:55pm
post #26 of 54

I'm a Administrative Assistant/Bookkeeper, Caterer, Mom of 4, Wife of 1 (couldn't handle more than 1 husband lol) and a cake decorator. Sometimes I even find time to breathe!!!!

richardskathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
richardskathy Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 3:56pm
post #27 of 54

I work full time as a receptionist at a college (new position since April). I also, work 2 nights a week training office manager at the last office I worked, I also training foster parents on cPR and 1st Aid on Saturdays 6-10 times per year.

kerririchards Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 4:04pm
post #28 of 54

Stephanie

No I have never tried the marbelizing on nails. I have heard of it though. What products are you using to do it? I use the Creative Nail Retention+ for acrylic and Light Elegance for gel. I also train other techs in the Light Elegance product. LOVE IT.

Funny, I can do artwork on canvas and artwork on walls, and on cakes and cookies, but decals are about the best I can manage for nails. Fortunately most of my clients don't even want decals.

brinarae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brinarae Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 4:10pm
post #29 of 54

I work as an office assistant/ back up lab tech/bookeeper at an environmental testing lab, and I also work as an office assistant at a cargo transportation company. At least those two are related! I am also a Pampered Chef consultant in the evenings 1-2 times a week, and decorate cakes on the side. To add to the list of things I do to never see my husband, I have church commitments that take up about 5-10 hours a week. Wish I could get rid of something, but I enjoy it all! Good thing my husband is supportive!

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:21pm
post #30 of 54

I'm a CFO of an Office Furniture Installation and Moving company. I'm the only woman in the company (of course I watch over the finances) icon_lol.gif I took up cake decorating as a release from stress (lets see- how stressful is making cakes for other people) maybe I should change my day AND night job. icon_confused.gif I guess CC is my stress release now and I'm not changing that. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%