Quick Pour Fondant Icing

Baking By llee815 Updated 6 Nov 2005 , 2:28pm by DiH

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone tried the Quick-Pour Fondant Icing recipe? I want to use it for some ghost cakes I'm going to be making for my husband. Is it an overly sweet icing? Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.

10 replies
DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

Has anyone tried the Quick-Pour Fondant Icing recipe? I want to use it for some ghost cakes I'm going to be making for my husband. Is it an overly sweet icing? Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.

Yes, I've used Wilton's QPF and it works perfectly... wull, depending upon your application, that is. icon_biggrin.gif As far as sweetness is concerned, yes, that much sugar is going to be quite sweet... but then again, it goes on very thin so it's not like each bite will be covered with great gobs of it.

If you want to color it, add your coloring when you're mixing it. After cooking, the fondant will be ready to pour when the temperature cools down into the mid90s.

Have fun. Btw, what is your project for the QPF?
LL

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for replying. Your doll cake is beautiful. I'm planning on making little ghost petit fours. Did you glaze your cake with the apricot glaze or buttercream as suggested?

DiH Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:22am
post #4 of 11

Thanks... glad you like her. I just did a regular crumb coating of bc before pouring on the QPF.

Your ghosts sound really cute... you'll have to post of picture of them when you get them finished.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 11

How exactly does the quick pour fondant work? What is the "texture"like once it dires? does it harden?

DiH Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

How exactly does the quick pour fondant work? What is the "texture"like once it dires? does it harden?

For lack of a better description, it's like mixing up a batch of thin fondant that you pour instead of roll. The surface dries completely to a nice porcelain-like finish... tender not rock hard tho' for cutting/serving purposes.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 11

can you use it on somethign large? or is it meant for small things, like petit fours?

DiH Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:

can you use it on somethign large?

I don't know why you couldn't... it'd be just like pouring ganache over something.

DiH Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiH

Quote:

can you use it on somethign large?

I don't know why you couldn't... it'd be just like pouring ganache over something.

You peaked my curiosity so I did up a 10" dummy cake with some QPF. Excuse my lack of camera expertise... I can't get a true white to save my life. icon_cry.gif

Okay, I give up for today... I've tried at least a dozen times to attach a picture and it won't let me. I can't figure out why; I'm not doing anything differently than I've done before and my picture is actually smaller than others that I've posted. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Anyway, the QPF cake turned out quite nice... I would do it again as it is very easy to mix and use.

Guess I'll go bake something and leave the computer stuff for somebody more literate than I.
LL

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 12:24am
post #10 of 11

your dummy cake picture did attach...you just have to click download to see the picture

DiH Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, I see that it showed as a 'download' instead of an attachment.

BTW, or FYI, or whatever... the dark line across the top of the cake has nothing at all to do with the QPF. The only way I could get a true white was to haul everything out to my sunshiney back yard... the dark line is a shadow of my fence! Arghhhhh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%