Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things NOT to ask/say to a baker! - Page 41

post #601 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyLyn View Post

I have on numerous occasions had people give me a time for pick up, only to discover the day of that that was the party start time, and they would like to show up several hours early. First of all, i schedule a pick up time because i have other things going on, and second i always do finishing details the day of, so no, you cannot pick up your cake three hours early, while i'm still in my bathrobe. 
Hahaha! For me, it's, "no, you may not come get your half finished cake while I stand there is powdered clothes with clumpy bangs. Barefoot, with no face." (Something about working on cakes makes my bangs clump together, I wash them with rinse free shampoo as soon as I am done with the cake.)
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #602 of 2949
Yesterday I got an email from a girl asking me what sort of payments I accept, she wants a gorgeous Minnie Mouse cake for her baby shower. I reply back , "cash, credit, check (with weeks prepayment to make sure it clears) and ask about serving amount and date.

An hour later I get a call from the girl asking don't I take EBT cards? And said sorry, I can't, I'm not qualified to take them since the government has qualifications to accept them that I don't meet.

So she asks me if she can give me her EBT card to go buy the supplies and get some extra groceries for myself, I can get twice the cost of the cake? o.0 uh, no! I was trying to be nice, so I told her that for serving count, the most basic cake would $300, and I don't have anywhere to store $600 worth of groceries, and isn't that illegal? Besides, I would want her kids to go hungry, if i took all her food stamps. She said don't worry about her, haha, she gets enough. So then I had to tell I I just couldn't do it.

Good to know our tax dollars are benefiting someone...
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #603 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post

Yesterday I got an email from a girl asking me what sort of payments I accept, she wants a gorgeous Minnie Mouse cake for her baby shower. I reply back , "cash, credit, check (with weeks prepayment to make sure it clears) and ask about serving amount and date.

An hour later I get a call from the girl asking don't I take EBT cards? And said sorry, I can't, I'm not qualified to take them since the government has qualifications to accept them that I don't meet.

So she asks me if she can give me her EBT card to go buy the supplies and get some extra groceries for myself, I can get twice the cost of the cake? o.0 uh, no! I was trying to be nice, so I told her that for serving count, the most basic cake would $300, and I don't have anywhere to store $600 worth of groceries, and isn't that illegal? Besides, I would want her kids to go hungry, if i took all her food stamps. She said don't worry about her, haha, she gets enough. So then I had to tell I I just couldn't do it.

Good to know our tax dollars are benefiting someone...
You. Have. Got. To. Be. Joking.

Please. Tell us you are joking.

Because several years ago we were in the situation of needing food stamps and we watched every single dime to make sure it was being used appropriately since I knew I was feeding my family at taxpayer expense.

Oh this makes me livid.
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
post #604 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG View Post


You. Have. Got. To. Be. Joking.

Please. Tell us you are joking.

Because several years ago we were in the situation of needing food stamps and we watched every single dime to make sure it was being used appropriately since I knew I was feeding my family at taxpayer expense.

Oh this makes me livid.

No matter what system is in place, someone will find a way to work it. A certain relative of mine is currently on unemployment because she quit her job, then decided that she hadn't actually quit and was fired, so she claimed a hostile work environment to get benefits. She doesn't need unemployment, her husband has a very nice salary at his job, and my husband and I are both pretty disgusted about it. But she's always right, so God forbid you should say anything.

post #605 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG View Post

You. Have. Got. To. Be. Joking.

Please. Tell us you are joking.

Because several years ago we were in the situation of needing food stamps and we watched every single dime to make sure it was being used appropriately since I knew I was feeding my family at taxpayer expense.

Oh this makes me livid.
It's best not to think about it too much...the stories about food stamps being used for all kinds of non-essential purchases are popular online because they generate a lot of outrage (and page views). Luckily the fraud rate for food stamps is one of the lowest among government programs (~1%), so this is one of those cases where you have to take the good with the bad since it's impossible to completely eliminate fraud or force 100% of people to spend wisely.

I do remember one customer asking if she could pay with food stamps, I didn't think it was that unusual since in many states you can buy cakes at grocery stores with them. Of course trying to sell your food stamps is a completely different story.
post #606 of 2949

Got a reply back today to a follow up email I sent to a bride. We emailed back and forth at least a dozen times figuring out designs and such (she's out of town, so no tasting/consultation), and I had worked up two different designs for her (no sketches of course, I just described the design and gave her the quotes).

 

She said everything sounded good, so I sent the contract for her to look over and sign. I hadn't heard from her and it's been a while, so I sent her the follow up email and she tells me that she's really sorry, but someone quoted her a much lower price that she couldn't say no to, so she's going with them. But she says she appreciates me working so hard on her designs and will of course recommend us to her other bride friends (you've never even tasted our cake??)

 

And I'm just thinking I wasted all this time on you for zip. And really wondering who is giving her this steal of a deal (we are by far NOT the most expensive in our area), although of course I won't ask. icon_sad.gif

Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
Before you ask- I'm licensed, inspected, insured, and all that jazz.
Reply
post #607 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615 View Post

And I'm just thinking I wasted all this time on you for zip. And really wondering who is giving her this steal of a deal (we are by far NOT the most expensive in our area), although of course I won't ask. icon_sad.gif
There's nothing wrong with asking who they ended up booking with, the worst that can happen is simply not telling you. Knowing who you are losing customers to is very valuable information.
post #608 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post

Yesterday I got an email from a girl asking me what sort of payments I accept, she wants a gorgeous Minnie Mouse cake for her baby shower. I reply back , "cash, credit, check (with weeks prepayment to make sure it clears) and ask about serving amount and date.

An hour later I get a call from the girl asking don't I take EBT cards? And said sorry, I can't, I'm not qualified to take them since the government has qualifications to accept them that I don't meet.

So she asks me if she can give me her EBT card to go buy the supplies and get some extra groceries for myself, I can get twice the cost of the cake? o.0 uh, no! I was trying to be nice, so I told her that for serving count, the most basic cake would $300, and I don't have anywhere to store $600 worth of groceries, and isn't that illegal? Besides, I would want her kids to go hungry, if i took all her food stamps. She said don't worry about her, haha, she gets enough. So then I had to tell I I just couldn't do it.

Good to know our tax dollars are benefiting someone...

So you forwarded her email to your state welfare agency's fraud dept right? That's the only way they get  caught. 

elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
post #609 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyLyn View Post

I have on numerous occasions had people give me a time for pick up, only to discover the day of that that was the party start time, and they would like to show up several hours early. First of all, i schedule a pick up time because i have other things going on, and second i always do finishing details the day of, so no, you cannot pick up your cake three hours early, while i'm still in my bathrobe. 

Something similar happened to me recently. The delivery time I was given was about 30 mins before cake cutting so yes, I had to deliver the cake in the middle of the party.  Not cool. Cake delivery time and cake grand entrance time are NOT the same thing.

post #610 of 2949

I had a bride come in with her mother. I had just made her bridal shower cake. It was in a St Patrick's theme, with green and shamrocks. I thought the cake was great and I know it was very well made. I asked her what was the matter (she looked up-set) and she told me that her "friends" made fun of her cake. They said it looked "fake" because it looked so perfect. It was covered in fondant and the top edges were razor sharp. I told her that they had probably never seen a cake made by a professional, and her cake was perfect. She was worried people would not believe her wedding cake was real and asked if I could make it not look so perfect. In my mind I was thinking "sure, I'll make your wedding cake look like an armature made it and ruin my reputation!" I did assure her that her cake would be fine. I've never had a complaint about a cake looking or tasting bad, but this is the first time someone said my cake looked too perfect!

post #611 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle View Post

So you forwarded her email to your state welfare agency's fraud dept right? That's the only way they get  caught. 

 

 

I don't think that's fraud. In fact, "bakery items" are specifically designated in the guidelines as eligible food products. 

post #612 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post

There's nothing wrong with asking who they ended up booking with, the worst that can happen is simply not telling you. Knowing who you are losing customers to is very valuable information.

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
post #613 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla View Post


I don't think that's fraud. In fact, "bakery items" are specifically designated in the guidelines as eligible food products. 
The customer tried to sell the food stamps in order to purchase a non-eligible item, that was the fraudulent part.
post #614 of 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla View Post

 

 

I don't think that's fraud. In fact, "bakery items" are specifically designated in the guidelines as eligible food products. 


Using it to pay someone with $600 of 'extra groceries' is fraud.

post #615 of 2949

and lots of peeps have to give their cards to others because they can't shop for themselves--as long as the owner of the card is willing to give the pin to another that's ok according to my dealings with ebt transactions

 

and it was a phone call -- not an email so no trail of evidence

 

and i really liked what jason said about not letting it bait anyone

 

class envy is so old and ugly and stupid

 

sure there's scammers everywhere in every socio-economic level--they all suck -- nothing new

 

i'm glad my tax dollars go to help peeps who need it

 

whether they recently lost their jobs, drive a fancy car 'cause it's paid for and live high up on the hill or whether they were born into a revolving door of poverty

 

peeps on ebt have birthdays and like to have parties to celebrate things--peeps on ebt are peeps too--

 

i like that (ebt) much better than them begging on the sidewalk in front of my house

 

oh man, memphis doesn't really get below freezing a lot but it's gets cold and there's this one lady who 'lives' in the covered driveway at the shopping center 1/2 mile from here--how does she do that--why is she there--she's all bundled up but she's gotta be fricken freezing--we drop her off stuff sometimes and there's usually other 'packages' there for her--ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch

It is not what you teach that has the greatest impact, but what you tolerate ~ Shoemacher

 

Reply
It is not what you teach that has the greatest impact, but what you tolerate ~ Shoemacher

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!