Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

things NOT to ask/say to a baker! - Page 79

post #1171 of 2803
I've been a lurker for several years, but I had to come out of my lair to say how much I enjoyed this thread!
post #1172 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post

I get that request a lot too...I don't think they think it through, do they?

I had this (again, I get it about weekly) on Thursday. I've already been baking for about four hours for today's wedding cake, when I get a phone call.
Asks me if I can do a baby butt cake to serve 50. Setting aside the fact that I don't do body part cakes because the thought of cutting into them weirds me out, I ask her what date she was looking for. Answer: "Saturday". I tell her, unfortunately no, I am completely booked for this weekend. Then she asks, well, I can pick it up on Friday, instead.
The next day.
The day I spent 16 hours on my feet only taking three 15 minute eating breaks because I was decorating today's 5 tier monster of a detailed cake.
No.
I usually will refer out any calls I get for booked days to other area bakers, but I wasn't going to subject anyone else to a last minute carved cake for 50, either.
I think people really do think we pull cake out of magic hats. Either that or they've watched way too many episodes of 30-40 minute cake shows and really do think that's how long it takes.
Sigh.
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
post #1173 of 2803

I do think they watch those cake shows and don't take in to account that they are seeing a very edited program. Not to forget that the cakes are already cooked and that they show 10 seconds of them crumb coating but not all the smoothing etc that goes on and the person in the background who has taken hours to make the decorations.

post #1174 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 View Post

I do think they watch those cake shows and don't take in to account that they are seeing a very edited program. Not to forget that the cakes are already cooked and that they show 10 seconds of them crumb coating but not all the smoothing etc that goes on and the person in the background who has taken hours to make the decorations.

I've had people say to me "but it only takes an hour on tv" and they're completely serious.
post #1175 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post


I've had people say to me "but it only takes an hour on tv" and they're completely serious.

 

It's a little less then that since you don't have to stop while they play commercials...

post #1176 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post

I've had people say to me "but it only takes an hour on tv" and they're completely serious.

It's a little less then that since you don't have to stop while they play commercials...

I just did a cake last night that took 40 minutes, but it is a rare occurrence, so this really cracked me up!
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #1177 of 2803
If you only count hands-on time we regularly make complete cakes (small, basic BC only of course) from scratch in less than an hour.
post #1178 of 2803
I like dank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti View Post

F...u....n...n...y... post! 

My first 2 tier cake was going in my car and a neighbor came by and "ooooh'd and aaaah'd" and said, "You should sell these!  You could get lots of money!"

Yeah.......right...... That hobby cake only took about 30 hours.  

Thank Goodness I only do this for fun.  I might poke somebody's eye out if I had paying customers.


By the way, no need to use "moist" when describing your cakes.  Here are some possible synonyms:
damp - wet - humid - dank - soggy - dewy - watery

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
.

I especially like dank.
post #1179 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post


I just did a cake last night that took 40 minutes, but it is a rare occurrence, so this really cracked me up!

I make simple cakes in less than an hour all the time, but when customers say that  they're always talking about a 3-D car cake that plays the Star Spangled Banner from a hidden stereo system, with fireworks coming out the tailpipes.

post #1180 of 2803
Ok let's clarify. Y'all mean you assemble and decorate within an hour right? The cakes are already baked. Cos I don't see how you can go from ingredients to finished cake in one hour.
post #1181 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea View Post

Ok let's clarify. Y'all mean you assemble and decorate within an hour right? The cakes are already baked. Cos I don't see how you can go from ingredients to finished cake in one hour.

Yeah, assemble and decorate. I've seen people say that they bake their cakes the morning of the event, but they're big fat liars. No way you'd be able to go from ingredients to final product in an hour.

post #1182 of 2803

I was being sarcastic about removing the time for the ads because like costumeczar said, a 3-D cake in an hour is not going to happen ( except on tv ).

 

But if you give me prepared cake layers and BC, I can fill, stack and decorate a simple 8in / 10in cake in less then 10 mins. I used to do 60'ish + other random stuff in a single shift at work. But someone prepared the all the fillings and someone else baked all the layers.

post #1183 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea View Post

Ok let's clarify. Y'all mean you assemble and decorate within an hour right? The cakes are already baked. Cos I don't see how you can go from ingredients to finished cake in one hour.

We do go from ingredients to a finished and packaged cake in less than one hour of hands-on time. The elapsed time is obviously longer because of baking time and cooling time (during which we are working on other orders).
post #1184 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post


We do go from ingredients to a finished and packaged cake in less than one hour of hands-on time. The elapsed time is obviously longer because of baking time and cooling time (during which we are working on other orders).

An hour of hands-on time isn't what they mean, they mean an hour. But you know that, don't you icon_razz.gif

post #1185 of 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post

An hour of hands-on time isn't what they mean, they mean an hour.
Taking into account baking and cooling the elapsed time for a basic cake should be under two hours, so theoretically some cakes could be made available the same day if there is capacity. Of course that's not where you want to set expectations for customers, otherwise you will have a chaotic schedule. And again that's only for very basic cakes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › things NOT to ask/say to a baker!