A few weeks ago I had to come up with an eggless cake recipe. I wasn’t happy with the ones I had found so for some reason I called Betty Crocker to ask if they had any recipes. I struck gold, they sent me several and I thought it may be nice to share them.
- 2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour or 2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons almond-flavored liqueur
Almond Fluff (below)
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour square pan, 9x9x2 inches. Beat flour, 1 cup sugar, the shortening, buttermilk, salt, baking powder, baking soda and almond extract in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan. Sprinkle batter with almonds. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar; drizzle with liqueur. Cool
- 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.
- Prepare Almond Fluff. Place in decorating bag with large open star tip (#4B). Pipe shell border around base of cake. Serve remaining Almond Fluff with cake. Refrigerate any remaining cake.
- 9 to 12 servings.
- Almond Fluff: Beat 1 cup whipping (heavy) cream in chilled bowl until stiff. Fold in 2 tablespoons almond-flavored liqueur.
- White Cake: Omit almond extract, almonds, 1 tablespoon sugar and the liqueur. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spice Cake: Follow recipe for White Cake (above)–except stir in 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon,
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves with the flour mixture.