- 1 ½ cups Dark Molasses
- 1 cup packed Brown Sugar
- ¾ cup Cold Water
- 1/3 cup Shortening
- 7 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Get 2 different bowls Large and Medium
- Mix Molasses, Brown Sugar, Water, and Shortening in the *Medium* bowl until well blended. An electric mixer on a slow setting works well.
- Mix Flour, Salt, Allspice, Ginger, Cloves, Cinnamon into the *Large* bowl. Mix well so that the flavors are evenly dispersed. I use the Four Shaker so that there are no clumps in my mix.
- Take the wet ingredients from your Medium bowl and add it to your larger bowl. Use the electric mixer of your hands to get it all together.
- Dived the entire thing into 4 parts. Use Tinfoil to wrap each section, and then set everything into the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lay a thin layer of Flour or Shortening onto a board or table. Roll out your dough ¼ inches thick and cutout your desired shapes.
- Place about 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Leave out to cool before decorating.
- Makes 2 ½ dozen 2 ½ inch cookies.
I forgot to add that it helps to refrigerate the dough again after you've rolled it out flat. That way the little gingerbread people don't deform.
Is the dough stiff enough to make a house out of?
Login To Leave A Comment