I’m not a fan of crisco or any other shortening in my frosting. I understand that shortening is a good stabilizer for piping with. Since I love the superior flavor of butter and cream cheese together, I experimented with this recipe for a mother’s day cake I made that uses meringue powder as the stabilizer and crusts very well. The resulting flavor of real butter and cream cheese was amazing and the meringue powder made it so versatile to pipe with.
Vanilla Cream cheese Frosting
- 8 Tbs of butter (1/2 stick), room temperature
- 4 ounces of cream cheese (1/2 block), room temperature
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbs of meringue powder
- 4 tbs milk (more if too thick)
- Blend butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy
- Add 1/2 of confectioner’s sugar a half cup at a time
- add vanillla, then add remaining sugar
- add meringue powder and milk and blend well, add more milk if frosting is too thick.
Are you kidding me?