This is a yummy and unique cake! The frosting is very soft, but it can be decorated a bit if you leave it in the fridge a while first. There is a pic in my photos of this cake decorated. I would avoid putting “heavy” decorations on it as they would sink into the frosting. Enjoy!!
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and lightly flour two 8×1.5 ” or two 9×1.5″ round baking pans and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, orange juice, water, oil, and eggs. Beat with an elecrtic mixer on low sped for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat two minutes. Gently fold in blueberries, 1 T. finely shredded orange peel, and 1 T. finely schredded lemon peel. Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks for ten minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Cool thoroughly on racks.
4. Citrus Frosting: In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese and softened butter until fluffy. Add confectioner’s sugar and 2 T. orange juice. Beat until combined. In a small bowl beat the whipping cream to soft peaks; add to cream cheese mixture. Add 2 T. finely shredded orange peel and 1 T. finely shredded lemon peel. Beat on low speed until combined.
5. After cake is completely cooled, frost with citrus frosting. If frosting is too soft to stay well on sides of cake, refridgerate frosting for a couple of hours before attempting to spread it on the cake.