This is my very favorite cookie recipe, handed down from my sister inlaw 50 years ago. The prep. time is a bit involved but once made they are fairly fast and easy.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, makes 48 cookies
Chocolate Marshmallow Drops
- Cookie Ingredients
- 1 3/4 c. sifted flour
- 1/2 c. insweetened Cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 c. Crisco shortening
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 chopped walnuts or pecans
- 24 large marshmallows cut in half sideways
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 4 to 6 Tablespoons hot milk
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Cut all of the marshmallows in half sideways through the middle, it works best to dip scissors it warm water from time to time. Lay the cut marshmallows cut side down on a plate and set aside.
- Cream granulated sugar with Crisco, add egg and vanilla and beat till fluffy. Sift together all the dry ingredients and add alternately with the milk. Beat on low speed till combined and stir in nuts. Drop by small teaspoonful onto a lightly greased cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat mat. Makes 48 cookies so ty to make them all the same size. Bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven and press one marshmallow half into the center of each cookie. Return to oven and bake for another 4 minutes. Cool on a cake rack over a piece of waxed paper to catch drippings when you glaze the cookies. When they are all baked and cooled. Make the chocolate glaze, you want it to be pourable, but not watery, so gauge by the milk, add 4 Tablespoons first and if still a bit thck, add the other 2 tablespoons. Add the vegetable oil and stir till smooth. Ladle spoonfuls of the glaze over each cookie, cover the entire tops and let it drip down the sides. After completing one tray you will want to scrape up the drippings from the waxed paper and stir them back into the remaining glaze. Go on to the next tray of cookies until completed. The glaze will set up in amount 10-15 minutes, it will remain shiny. Cookies should be stored in a sealed Tupperware to keep moist. They will stay fresh about 3 days.