This makes a very colorful, festive cake for any holiday or birthday!
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 smal box Jello (flavor desired)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- In a mixing bowl, sift 1 1/4 cups of the sugar, flour, baking powder and gelatin together.
- In another bowl, combine milk, vegetable oil and lemon extract.
- Beat the liquids into the dry ingredients until batter is smooth. Beat egg yolks one at a time, into the batter. Whip egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar until stiff, but not dry. Fold the egg whites lightly but thoroughly into the batter.
- Grease a bundt pan with vegetable shortening and dust with flour, (or use pan grease). Spoon batter into pan and bake at 325 Degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back to the touch. Turn out immediately onto a wire rack.