The original recipe is from “Spago Desserts” and literally toook all day to make. A Chocolate Chiffon cake soaked in coffee soaking liquid with alternating layers of Chocolate Charlotte and Coffee buttercream and then covered in ganache, wrapped with a chocolate band, and adorned with chocolate curls. Delicious, mind you, but too time consuming. So this is my version.
Opera Cake – My version
1 box DH dark choc fudge cake mix
- 1 box choc pudding
- 3 eggs
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c oil
Coffee Soaking Liquid:
- strong coffee
Coffee Buttercream or Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream
Coffee Buttercream or Choc-Coffee Buttercream
- Ingredients are mixed together, poured into prepared pans, and baked at 325 until done (for me and my convection oven, takes about 35-40 minutes).
- I torte the layers and moisten all layers with the soaking liquid (sorry, no real amounts here, I just do it to taste).
- I typically then fill the layers with either coffee buttercream (I use an all butter recipe and replace the liquid with strong, room temp coffee – day old works perfectly) or with a choc-coffee buttercream (for mine, again, I use an all butter, then melt real semi-sweet choc chips with coffee, and replace the liquid with coffee).
- Whereas the original recipe just called for ganache on the outside of the cake, I frost the cake with a thick layer of coffee or choc-coffee buttercream (this time, though, made w/ butter/crisco mix).
- Smooth and chill.
- For the ganache, I melt real semi-sweet choc chips (for an 8″ cake, I’ll use a 12 oz bag) combined with strong coffee (just enough to make it pourable).
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment