I have tried many layer cake recipes that claimed to be moist and it wasn’t. Sometimes there was not enough batter to make good and even sized layers, so I thought I would try to come up with a recipe to make a BIG, you know, sometimes you need a BIG cake for a family gathering. I have tested this twice and I really like it.
Kutina’s Layer Cake
- 1 1/2cup Butter Crisco Shortening
- 1 – 1 1/2 sticks of butter (not margarine)
- 3 cups white sugar
- 8 eggs (room temp)
- 4 cups Cake Flour (I used only Swans Down)
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 3/4 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon, rum and almond flavor
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cream shortening and butter (about 2 minutes); add sugar beat until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add flavors. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Add this to mixture, alternating with milk. REMEMBER: start with flour mixture and end with flour mixture. Beat until well blended, until mixture looks smooth. DO NOT OVERBEAT. Bake in 4 or 5 9 inch cake pans or 3 or 4 10 inch cake pans or 2 or 3 12 inch cake pans -depending on the height you want for your cake.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment