I first found this recipe in a post by Naty here on Cake Central. It’s also an easy recipe to double as well. I had some problems with the bottom sticking however parchment paper quickly fixed that problem. It has quickly become my favourite yellow scratch cake recipe!
Yellow Cake Layers
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter, add sugar gradually, beating, and beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the flour mixture and the milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Add the vanilla, and beat the batter until it is smooth.
- Divide the batter between 2 lightly greased and floured 8×1 1/2-inch round cake pans, smoothing the top, rap each pan on a hard surface twice to expel any air bubbles.
- Bake the layers in the middle of a preheated 350-degree F oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean and the layers pull away slightly from the sides of the pans. Let the layers cool in the pans on a rack for 8 minutes, run a thin knife around the edge of each pan, and invert the layers onto the racks. Let the layers cool completely.