This is a very easy, basic yellow cake mix. I use it all the time, everyone seems to like it. I bake and decorate cakes on the side for extra money and everyone compliments me on this cake.
Basic Yellow Cake
3 cups sifted cake flour
2/3 cup butter or margarine
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
*Preheat oven to 350°F. 1. Grease bottom of two 8-inch round cake pans and line with waxed paper or parchment paper.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. Cream sugar and butter together until light. Add eggs + vanilla to creamed mixture and beat until thoroughly mixed.
4. Add flour mix to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Continue beating one minute.
5. Spread batter evenly in prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.