I’ve study about a dozen or more recipes after reviewing them all I put together this recipe. I used powdered buttermilk (not much everyday use to get the real stuff, and taste the same) also used 1 gram(1 tsp) powdered food coloring with ½ oz liquid food coloring (makes for a lighter red) . I’m also including the dry ingredients weight as it is easier to just scoop and weight, then use measuring cups
- Ingredients: Dry Weight
- • 2 ½ Cup cake flour 360 grams
- • 1 ½ Cup sugar 300 grams
- • 1 ½ Tlb cocoa powder 8 grams
- • 1 tsp salt 6 grams
- • 1 tsp baking soda 5 grams
- • 2 large eggs
- • 1/3 Cup veg. shorting 75 grams
- • ¾ Stick butter
- • 1 Cup buttermilk (for powdered follow their direction for use)
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract
- • 1 oz red food dye (or use direction above)
- • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (makes for a milder taste)
Per heat oven to 350 degrees F (175degrees C).
1. In large bowl (or stand mixer bowl) cream together butter, shorting, sugar and vanilla on med speed about 3 to 5 minutes or until lit in color.
2. In another large bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking soda (if using powdered buttermilk add also).
3. Slow down mixer and blend 1 egg at a time into creamed mixture. Mix together cocoa and red food coloring, add to creamed mixture and blend well.
4. To creamed mixture add flour mixture alternating with buttermilk in 3 installments till well blended, add vinegar and mix about 30 seconds more (do not over mix). Spread batter into prepared pans and bake on middle rack 35 to 45 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
5. Depan after 10 minutes; cool on wire rack 30 minutes before storing or till cool enough to ice.