Cake Toppers

Decorating By Natt Updated 6 Feb 2007 , 10:37pm by torki

Natt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natt Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 4

I keep seeing the toppers that have wires coming out of the top which I really like. I don't know how to install them on top of the cake. I saw in a book last night they used something that looked like the small plastic tubes you use for a single bud flower that you fill with water. They placed it in the center of the cake then put all the wires in it. What kind of wires can you use? If I can only find green floweral wire can I color it. I thought I read something about dipping it in something. I really would like to play with the wire topping but it seems like it is a little difficult. Any help would be great.

Natt

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 4

depending on what you want the wires to do, straws work really well for holding the wire in place and keeping it away from the cake.

Floral wire does come in white and green, and plain metallics. You can tape the wire, or cover them with ribbon (needs something sticky on the wire)

you might be able to color the green wire with a colored permanent marker, but you need to allow time for it to dry and evaporate the odor that comes with it.

CakeQueen52485 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeQueen52485 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 4

The idea about coloring the wire with a permanent maker sounds good, but to be safer, you could color the white paper covered florist wire with some of those edible, non-toxic cookie markers. You can usually find them in the grocery store, and I know that Wilton sell's them on their web site.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 4

If you want to color white floral wire you can dust with petal dust or non-toxic chalk... depending on the weight of the decorations and if it is for small children you can also use spaghetti and colour that icon_biggrin.gif

If I'm using wire I insert in flower pick filled with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%