Cookie Dough And Royal Icing Freshness?

Baking By eromero Updated 6 Feb 2007 , 3:03am by jstritt

eromero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eromero Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to ask a couple of questions:
How long can cookie dough stay fresh in the refrigerator?
How long does royal icing made with meringue powder stay fresh in the refrigerator?
Thanks for your help.
Elvira

6 replies
KCotten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCotten Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:12am
post #2 of 7

Elvira,
The RI lasts forever (at least I haven't ever seen it "go bad"). The cookie dough on the other hand from my experience has a fridge life of about three-four days max. Hope this helps!

Kim

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:32am
post #3 of 7

For long term storage of cookie dough, it is best frozen, then thawed in the refrigerator. For royal, it will start to break down after a few hours. You will need to re-beat it. Since it has eggs and sugar, it is possible to mold-though rare. I generally don't keep mine for more than a week or so, and then in the fridge.

KCotten Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 7

Let me clarify, I don't make mine with eggs whites....I use the powdered meringue and don't have a problem with it breaking down.

Kim

eromero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eromero Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your help. I got rid of the cookie dough and kept the royal icing. I am making some cookie dough again now. I plan to make a sample bouquet of hearts (for Valentines Day) and plan to put it in the office of my school with some cards. Hope some people place orders. Wish me luck.
Elvira

KCotten Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 2:59am
post #6 of 7

Elvira,
I will put you in my prayers for your business to thrive. Please do the same for me!!!

Kim

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:03am
post #7 of 7

I freeze my cookie dough, and it thaws great. I also freeze left over royal, and all you do is let it thaw and rewhip. Works wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%