Change In Plans For Cake Transportation/assembly/timing

Decorating By newseasons Updated 12 Jun 2017 , 9:44pm by kakeladi

newseasons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newseasons Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 4:10am
post #1 of 3

Hello!  I'm making my first wedding cake and have really appreciated reading many amazing and helpful posts on this site!  I usually make my kids' birthday cakes, but this is a gift for my niece.  Originally we had planned to transport the cake about 45 min chilled and then refrigerate, assemble, and leave in AC until the last minute for an outdoor wedding this weekend.  However, the availability of the fridge and kitchen may have just changed.  So, I'm trying to figure out a possible plan B.  My question now is:  If I transport the cake assembled should I just chill or freeze (if that's even a possibility) before transporting?  How long should I leave it out to thaw/come to room temp? Any advice on assembly/transportation & timing (as far as thawing/when to put it outside) would be appreciated.  The cake is a double-barrel 9" tier on the bottom, and then 7" and 6" regular or slightly extended tiers.  Bottom 2 layers are smooth/textured buttercream with some ribbon, etc, and the top tier has sequins.  No fancy piping or frosting decorations.  I'm planning to use straws instead of dowels...yes, there will be a cardboard cake circle in the middle of the double barrel...and I can attempt to use a center dowel if transporting assembled.  THANK YOU!

2 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 3

I would suggest making an insulated box. Avalon Yarnes (Avalon Cakes) has a great facebook video for making an insulated box. I use Techni ice packs (food safe and reusable) along with our insulated boxes. I place 3-4 of the tiny ice packs in with the cake and we seal it up for transport. It will keep your cake nice and chilled not only during the transport but in case fridge space is not available. For outdoor weddings, I tell couple they need to cut the cake within 15-20 minutes of it being set up. There just isn't any edible substance that will hold up to heat and humidity very long! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 3

1st off I do NOT recomment transporting that configuration completely assambled.  *Maybe* if very well boxed in a much better/stronger/snug box than a cake box but there is not enough base size to keep such a cake from tipping over in transport.  I agree w/sixinarow........make up an insulated box.  Yes, depending on the filling(s) used that cake can be fzn and should be transported right out of the fzr.  You don't say what your weather is going to be like so it's hard to guess how long it can be left on display.   ONce out of the fzr the cake should thaw w/in about 1 hr but using an insulated box could extend that by about another hour.  If the weather is fair the cake can be left out up to 1 hr. 

I haven't seen the directions for that insulated box that's mentioned but here's how easy it is:  Get 2 heavy (moving) boxes one the the size of the cake box, the other the next size larger.  Put the boxed cake in the smaller one , then put that into the lgr one.  Put ice blocks (fzr zip-loc bags of fzn water) all around the two boxes.  You could use ice cubes but a solid block thaws slower.  I definately suggest putting the dbl barrel together, and the other two tiers together and transporting the like that but not putting the 3 tiers together until on site. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%