How Do You Avoid Air Bubbles In Small Batches Of Buttercream During Mixing?

Decorating By weluvpiggies Updated 11 May 2017 , 7:15pm by kryptonite

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 11 May 2017 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 6

I've been frustrated lately by air bubbles in my BC during the mixing stage.  I don't want to make a very large recipe that covers the mixing paddle though.  Is there a way to make a smaller batch of BC without the air bubbles getting in?

Thanks so much!!

5 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 11 May 2017 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 6

I make the American style butter cream, notorious for air bubbles, but I have found that stirring with a rubber spatula helps to work those bubbles out. You won't get all of them, but you'll smooth it out enough. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 May 2017 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 6

Buy your self a small, inexpensive stand mixer with a small bowl....double beater mixers do an excellent job smoothing out icing.  I make mine in bulk in the big mixer, but remix small batches as need in my Sunbeam Mixmaster stand mixer and it comes out as smooth as silk!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 May 2017 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 6

Buy your self a small, inexpensive stand mixer with a small bowl....double beater mixers do an excellent job smoothing out icing.  I make mine in bulk in the big mixer, but remix small batches as need in my Sunbeam Mixmaster stand mixer and it comes out as smooth as silk!

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 11 May 2017 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the replies, I stick to the American BC because I can't eat eggs.

Also, will a hand mixer do the same job as the Sunbeam mixmaster?

Thanks!

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 11 May 2017 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 6

On the rare occasion that I mix up a small batch of buttercream, I throw it in the food processor for a couple of minutes. I'm not sure it would be worth all the extra dirty dishes for you, but it does make it suuuuper smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%