Friday Night Cake Club For 4/14/17

Decorating By catlharper Updated 21 Apr 2017 , 12:59am by Marian64

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 2:45am
post #1 of 33

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or give help if they can!

Cat

32 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 2:47am
post #2 of 33

Hi everyone! Hope your week was great! We celebrated our grandson's 6th birthday today. For whatever reason he is Sonic the Hedgehog crazy right now. Here is the cake finished as well as with the cupcakes on the party table.

Friday Night Cake Club For 4/14/17Friday Night Cake Club For 4/14/17

sm0kinkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sm0kinkitchen Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 2:59am
post #3 of 33

Little racecar smash cake made for a friend's son :) Friday Night Cake Club For 4/14/17

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 5:20am
post #4 of 33
gscout73 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 5:24am
post #5 of 33
gscout73 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 5:28am
post #6 of 33

That is not nice. I tried twice to post pics. First time I've had problems in a long time. My project is butterflies using patchwork cutters. Don't know why my text didn't show either.

gscout73 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 5:29am
post #7 of 33

[postimage id="6947" thumb="900"]

gscout73 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 5:31am
post #8 of 33

[postimage id="6948" thumb="900"]

ZeKe221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZeKe221 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 11:52am
post #9 of 33

@catlharper ‍ i love that cake, love the figures did you make them? or use figures that he can use after? (i like doing that so they got some to eat and some to keep)

@sm0kinkitchen ‍ i like the car on top, i need to get my fondant making skills brushed up on haha

@gscout73 ‍ they must have taken ages.

I made this cake for a chartiy auction that ends later today so far its up to £30 i'm pritty chuffed with that :) sorry about the crappy picture it was taken while i was on the way to wrap it up haha.

i've also just made a chocolare orange fudge cake but i'll post a pic of that later if anyone is intrested?

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 33

Marian64 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 33

I took a class on decorating cookies Thursday. It was really fun. I thought the cookies turned out cute.

@catlharper ‍ that is such a fun cake. Did you make all those gold rings, they are perfect.

@sm0kinkitchen ‍I keep thinking all that work to end up smashed. 

@gscout73 ‍ I love your butterflies. What are you going to use them on? How are you coloring them they are simply beautiful.

@ZeKe221 ‍ cute cake.

gscout73 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 4:18pm
post #12 of 33

Marian64, I'm using different dusts to color them. I want to use them on cake pops and a cake. I thought of making these and putting a butterfly on top.

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 33

Just popping on quickly to say Happy Easter everyone!  I am putting together a carrot cake at the moment for Easter dinner tomorrow, nothing fancy.   Later tonight I have a birthday cake to finish plus a second fancier Easter cake for dinner tomorrow. I am hosting dinner so I probably won't get pictures posted until late tomorrow or sometime Monday.  Hope you're all having a great weekend! Everything posted thus far looks great by the way :-) 

Marian64 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 8:45pm
post #14 of 33

@gscout73 ‍They would look good on your tulips. Looking forward to seeing them used.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 10:09am
post #15 of 33

This was my youngest daughter's birthday cake this weekend. Wanted to do something more elaborate, but my sister scheduled her gender reveal party the same day. So I did cupcakes for her little event as well, which I did not take a single pic of. Ugh. Lol. My daughter loved it and that's all that matters! Friday Night Cake Club For 4/14/17

Njewett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Njewett Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 4:15pm
post #16 of 33

Here is the cake I made for Easter. It is lemon blueberry cake with lemon curd and Italian Buttercream. 

gscout73 Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 4:34pm
post #17 of 33

Marian64, that pic of tulips is not mine.  I used that for inspiration. I made rose cake pops with the tops a little open to make room for the butterflies.

[postimage id="6957" thumb="900"][postimage id="6958" thumb="900"]

Marian64 Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 33

gscout73 well they were a good inspiration love the roses with the butterflies. I may use those for inspiration in the future.

GIGGLEBOX2014 what a cute cake and those ruffles are perfect. 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 12:12am
post #19 of 33

Thanks #marian64! 

kstevens Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 4:15pm
post #20 of 33

Happy Easter Monday everyone!  I finally have a few minutes to comment and post my own cakes.

@catlharper ‍ your Sonic cake is fun & bright!  I bet your grandson loved it :-)

@sm0kinkitchen ‍ your smash cake is really cute.  Your car is perfect!

@gscout73 ‍ your butterflies are beautiful and look really nice on the rose pops!  Did you use fondant for the petals or are they modeling chocolate?

@ZeKe221 ‍ cute little Easter cake.  Glad the auction was a success!

@Marian64 ‍ love your cookies!  They turned out great!  I think the sheep is my favorite.

@GIGGLEBOX2014 ‍ love that bottom tier on your troll cake.  I do not have the patience or skill to do that with buttercream.

@Njewett ‍ your cake is pretty and sounds delish!

It was a busy weekend for me as a friend asked me to make a birthday cake for his sister on Sun and I was hosting Easter dinner.  

For the birthday cake he requested something painting themed as she works in the paint department of Home Hardware.  He also requested that lemon be incorporated in to the cake as it is family tradition to have a lemon dessert on Easter.  I did a bit of research by visiting the local Home Hardware and Connie in the paint department was very helpful!  Turns out there is actually a paint color called birthday party and so that is why I went with pink as the paint color (white chocolate ganache).  The paint can itself it made to resemble their best seller for paint.  The paint roller is also cake with a fondant handle.  It's not all that obvious from the photo but I textured the fondant that covers the cake board.  The cake was vanilla bean cake with vanilla icing and filled with lemon curd.

For Easter I decided to make two cakes.  Last year at Easter time I saw a cake by Sharon Zambito (sugaredproductions.com) that I fell in love with!  It was made with the Wilton 3D bunny pan which has been discontinued but I was determined to find it.  After some searching I did :-)  The only change I made from her cake was to do the inside of the ears pink rather than covering the entire bunny with blossoms.  It was time consuming but everyone loved it.  I used the smallest Wilton blossom cutter/ejector to make all the flowers.  There are 852 on the bunny!!  Yes, I counted ;-)  The cake is coconut vanilla bean cake with coconut meringue frosting.  For the traditionalists in the family I also made a simple carrot cake.  To make it a little less boring I textured the (cream cheese) icing and added some pecan pieces around the bottom edge.

kstevens Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 4:15pm
post #21 of 33

kstevens Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 4:16pm
post #22 of 33

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 4:19pm
post #23 of 33

Great Job everyone!!! All the cakes were awesome!!!

gscout73 Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 5:16pm
post #24 of 33

Kstevens, I made the roses with modeling choc. First time using modeling choc and I am sooooo happy with how they turned out. Unfortunately, no one wanted to eat them.

gscout73 Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 5:32pm
post #25 of 33

Kstevens, your cakes are awesome. That paint can and roller are amazing!! And I love your bunny. I've seen that, with the little flowers and love the look.

kstevens Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 5:37pm
post #26 of 33

@gscout73 ‍ isn't modeling chocolate fun to work with?  I used it for the first time a year or so ago and love how forgiving it is.  I mix it 50/50 with fondant any time I have a difficult cake to cover such as a sphere.  It goes on much nicer than straight up fondant and blends in to itself better.  Thanks for the compliments on my cakes :-)  

Marian64 Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 9:00pm
post #27 of 33

@kstevens ‍ wow! As always your cakes are amazing. I can't get over the 852 little flowers to cover the rabbit cake.

kstevens Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 10:00pm
post #28 of 33

Thanks @Marian64 ‍ :-)   I knew the bunny was going to require a lot of blossoms so I broke up making them over a couple of nights.  I had 32 rows of 24 (=768) made and drying on a cutting board.  I thought it might be enough especially where I did the inner ears in pink fondant but nope, I had to quickly make more Easter morning.  I thought it was worth mentioning how many blossoms I used in the event someone decided they wanted to make one.

ZeKe221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZeKe221 Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 11:56pm
post #29 of 33

@gscout73 ‍ I've never used modling chocolate is that like fondant in texture? and you use it the same way? I've been asked to do some butterfly's or a butterfly cake but would really like to try them what you have made how did you do them? i saw that you said you used patchwork cutters what are they?

@kstevens ‍ wow i love your cakes...that bunny is brill...i might try copy your idea if thats ok with you haha

Marian64 Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 2:45am
post #30 of 33

@kstevens ‍ Trust me I would of asked how many flowers if just out of curiosity. I don't have the rabbit, but I have the duck pan who knows I may try it one day. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%