Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By alilaw7 Updated 23 Mar 2017 , 7:33pm by kakeladi

alilaw7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alilaw7 Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hey all! I'm going to be making a baby shower cake in a couple weeks, similar to this one.  I have just a little experience with fondant, and none with gumpaste. I'm going to be covering the cake with buttercream.  For raindrops like these - would you use fondant, or gumpaste? Thanks!Baby Shower Cake

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 5

For the raindrops I would use fondant.   Fondant is really just like gumpaste except it doesn't dry as fast nor as hard/brittle.  It's much more 'eating' friendly in my opinion ;)

alilaw7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alilaw7 Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 5

If I decide to attempt the flowers- would you do those in fondant too? Would they be easier to make in 1 versus the other? Thanks!

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 22 Mar 2017 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 5

Ditto everything Kakeladi said :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2017 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 5

........If I decide to attempt the flowers- would you do those in fondant too? Would they be easier to make in 1 versus the other?..........

I found working w/fondant easier.  With gp you have to work fast as it dries out so quickly.  You can get much thinner, perhaps nicer looking,  gp items but must work w/small amounts quickly to help prefent drying.   It just worked much better for me to use fondant.  With fondant flowers you have to handle them carefully as they are not super dry/hard but still easy to handle.  You can add some tylose powder to fondant to help it dry faster - especially if you live in a humid area.  I had a can of Wilton dry gumpaste mix & I'd take a lump of fondant, dip it into the dry mix and knead it well.  Never really measured how much but you can feel how it tightens up the fondant. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%