Keeping A Cake Fresh

Baking By hdestry Updated 16 Mar 2017 , 11:18pm by bubs1stbirthday

hdestry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hdestry Posted 16 Mar 2017 , 10:55am
post #1 of 3

Hi there,

I have made 4 layers or a vanilla cake i have already frozen. I have to defrost it on Thursday to decorate it on the Friday morning and then it will be for a party Saturday night. How can i keep it fresh and moist. Does freezing it make it less tastier/fresher?

Thank you in advance! :)

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Mar 2017 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 3

It will keep fresh and moist for at least 3 days at room temp.  You could freeze it but it is not necessary.  YES! it will stay tastier/fresher in the fzr but you would have to take it out very early Sat morning for it to defrost in time.........maybe even Fri night depending on what size the tiers are.  Really, I don't think  its worth fzing for just 24 hrs.....

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Mar 2017 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 3

What size is your cake?

Personally I freeze all of my cakes because I find them so much easier to work with and I also think it does add something to them. I only ever use either 6 or 8 inch cakes as I only make them for special occasions within our family. I just pull them out of the freezer in the morning on the day I plan to decorate them.

I torte them while they are still partly frozen and at most they take an hour to get to semi defrosted stage which is when I torte them and loosely rewrap in gladwrap and sit single layer out on the bench. Once torted they quickly defrost the rest of the way and usually by the time I have either rewhipped or made the icing they are fully defrosted and ready to ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%