Help - Baking Disaster

Baking By pm31 Updated 16 Aug 2017 , 4:25am by bubs1stbirthday

pm31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pm31 Posted 28 Feb 2017 , 11:39am
post #1 of 10

Hi All

I would so appreciate some expert advice.  I only started baking a year ago but have since baked basic sponge recipes many times, and they've been perfect - until today.

I cooked two batches of a basic victoria sponge recipe - used the same recipe, mixer, brands of ingredients, oven.  But both batches are dreadful.

They've risen a bit but have air bubbles on top, they're too pale (even though they are cooked through) and though I haven't cut into them they look as though they'll be fairly dense or rubbery....

What did I do wrong?  I read that over-mixing can cause the air bubble problem but I didn't mix any more than usual.  It's cold in my kitchen today as it's winter and I haven't had the heating (but not freezing!) - could this have affected them - I also read something about butter not creaming properly if it's too cold.  But I'd appreciate some advice from you expert before I try a third batch please!!!  I have to get 2 batches done for my twin girls' birthday party!

Sooooo many thanks

P x

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 12:03am
post #2 of 10

Sorry, can't help as being in the US we don't use victoria sponge recipes :(   Just wanted you to know at least someone has read your post. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 1:43am
post #3 of 10

http://oureverydaylife.com/causes-bubbles-top-cakes-baking-33974.html

Don't know if the above may help you or not. It is just something I read about what causes air bubbles. I am not an expert by any means.  You can read the above and maybe by then someone else will be able to help you.

Itsabakerslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Itsabakerslife Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 10

Hi! I had this problem a couple of months ago too. Its the cold kitchen. I live in the UK, and it's been freezing. More colder than usual. I had this problem when my butter was too cold so it wasn't creaming properly. Therefore, it was still pretty cold, and not very fluffy and airy at all after beating it for about ten minutes in a stand mixer. So when I went to put the eggs in, the mixture curdled, and the cake turned out like a chewing gum. No joke. It was like rubber. 

After a few times of this happening, I put the butter near a warm radiator for about an hour before baking. It made all the difference. I don't know the science behind it, but it sure does work! It creams faster, and the eggs don't curdle either. Hope this helps!

pm31 Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you so much lovely ladies, for your time and attention.  

Yes, Itsabakerslife, it's been freezing here, hasn't it???  I did a bit more googling and figured it seemed most likely the butter was too cold - it did seem that the creaming wasn't quite normal!!

Next attempt is tomorrow.... heating will be on full blast, metal mixing bowl will be pre-warmed and butter will be softened... wish me luck! And thank you again, you're all wonderful...

Ps kakeladi - if you see this - totally curious - what basic sponge recipe do you use in the US?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 10

Oooohhhhhhh boy......here we go again :(   Just had a long post get the 'something went wrong' notice :(

My recipe is very well know on this site and all over the world :) https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

I know many people think using mixes isn't being a baker but I can't tell you how many times I had someone tell me they could never produce such a delisious cake even using mixes. 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 12:38am
post #7 of 10

I can tell you that kakeladi's recipe is fabulous! I do some scratch and some WASC, and my customers could never tell the difference.

Here in the US sponge isn't very popular, in fact, I don't believe I've ever had it.

Right now I've gotten back to updating some Civil War recipes I came across, but sponge is still on my list to master.

pm31 Posted 14 Aug 2017 , 10:46am
post #8 of 10

Wow, so sorry not to have replied to all your wonderful replies - life got in the way, young children, etc!  Kakeladi - if it tastes great, I have no issue with mixes! Your cakes sound sensational, my only problem is the mixes I've tried in the past are never very good - maybe they're not so good here in the UK?? Or it's probably just my baking skills, lol...

And you know what? I finally figured out what caused my baking catastrophe - it took 5 batches and I only found out by accident!!!  After trying so many times, I ran out of baking powder, bought a new pot for my next attempt and voila!  After googling a bit, I discovered, to my astonishment, that it doesn't last that long after it's been opened, regardless of what the 'Best before' date says.  Learn something new every day:)

Thanks again everyone xxxx

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 3:39am
post #9 of 10

Victorian sponge is on my to try list so I find this conversation interesting. Also going to try Mary Berry jaffe cakes. One of the ladies that works in the base exchange is British so she has agreed to be my guinea pig.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 4:25am
post #10 of 10

http://www.food.com/recipe/fluffy-sponge-cake-47934

This is a typical Aussie sponge cake recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%