Best Brand Of Butter For Buttercream?

Decorating By Megan212 Updated 4 Apr 2017 , 4:02am by vlasko

Megan212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megan212 Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 2:54am
post #1 of 17

Anyone have any favorite brands for their buttercream icings? I haven't had much luck finding a good butter that holds up well. 

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 4:49am
post #2 of 17

no butter does not hold up well -- its butter -- don't let it get too soft or the water will separate out during the mixing or whatever --

i use grade AA -- and the stuff at sam's probably costco's as well seems harder/firmer than regular grocery store butter -- the wrappers are the cleanest after the butter is removed -- and you just notice this difference in butters as you go but i usually use the regular grocery store brand for small baking projects -- but not aldi's

Megan212 Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 4:17am
post #3 of 17

I have been using store brand grade AA butter, but my buttercream always seems so "heavy" or is it supposed to be that way? If I try to pipe flowers or any larger amout it just falls over and dosn't hold up. I was thinking maybe my butter quailty is just to soft, but not sure. Im not a huge fan of the american buttercream because it is just too sweet for me. Ive been experimenting a little with SMBC and IMBC and I like them better! But worry about how well they will hold up to piping. I will be making my daughters 1st birthday cake this weekend and still trying to decide which buttercream to use. Im thinking about doing an ombre color design.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 17

i think you should ultimately use all the buttercreams -- each one has a strength --

american can be made less sweet using vinegar or buttermilk and stronger by adding corn starch or powdered sugar --

but definitely try the others -- they need extra help to be pipeable --

don't use butter that's too soft

HelenLorenzo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HelenLorenzo Posted 1 Apr 2017 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 17

I usually use generic Safeway Lucerne unsalted butter.

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 1 Apr 2017 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 17

Hi guys,

I just tried KERRY GOLD butter from Ireland for a smaller 2 tier b-d cake. It worked out really well. Bit on high cost end for a larger cake tho.  As far as the piping goes just use more confectionery sugar. Renshaw puts out a nice royal icing for piping. Sometimes not everything can be done in bc alone! Got to go to plan 'B'.

Megan212 Posted 1 Apr 2017 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 17

I started using a 50/50 ratio of hi-ratio shortening and usually hyvee brand or challenge brand butter and it has been amazing so far! Not as sweet and pipes like a dream. 

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 2 Apr 2017 , 6:23am
post #8 of 17

I always use Land of Lakes salted and unsalted and they have worked out pretty good. Plus I have started using high ratio shortening.

@Megan212 I just did a smash cake for my great niece and used this recipe for the buttercream and it piped really well and was very light and not over sweet. Here's the recipe: 5Tbl unsalted butter, 5 Tbl hi ratio shortening, 3/4 tsp vanilla extract, 2 cups icing sugar, 2 Tbl milk or more as needed.

1. Beat butter and shortening together in large bowl until light and fluffy.

2. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in colour. Beat for awhile.

3. Beat vanilla extract into butter mixture. Add sugar one cup at a time, beating on medium speed until fully incorporated.

4. Add milk, one Tbl at a time, beating on medium speed until fully incorporated and frosting is nice and smooth.

heres a pic if my cakeBest Brand Of Butter For Buttercream?

DormCat Posted 2 Apr 2017 , 6:24am
post #9 of 17

Forgot to mention I had to make two batches to cover the 6" cake

-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2017 , 12:06pm
post #10 of 17

sweetest picture ever! lovely cake -- cute cute baby in a lace onesie -- way cool -- all the polka dots, lace and roses, flowers pink and pretty -- wow nice

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 Apr 2017 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 17

If you look beyond the box, look at the plant number on the wrappers....you'll find many different brands are made by the same factory!

Megan212 Posted 2 Apr 2017 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 17

@DormCat ‍ Your cake is beautiful! Rosette cakes are one of my favorite designs! The recipie I use is by Gretchens Bakery and is very similar to yours, it just uses heavy cream instead of milk & makes a larger batch.

@Jeff_Arnett ‍ That is very interesting! I always wonder what the difference is between the brands because the ingredients and nutrion facts are all the same. I have 3 different brands in my freezer right now and the 2 store brands (our family & hyvee) both have differnt plant numbers, and then the challenge brand butter didnt have one listed anywhere I could find. Since I started using the 50/50 butter and hi-ratio shortening Ive had good luck with all these brands! I just buy whats on sale and they work great for me.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2017 , 6:47pm
post #13 of 17

land o'lakes is unreasonably priced to me -- i use grade aa butter -- i like sam's club prices but often grocery store brand butter is a good choice -- well priced  -- i've never found a difference in performance -- 

Megan212 Posted 2 Apr 2017 , 8:31pm
post #14 of 17

I agree. The challenge brand is also high priced $5+ for 1 lb. and I will stick to hyvee brand unless in a pinch from now on. I haven't made it to sams club in awhile but i will definitely try their brand out sometime!  

DormCat Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 4:18am
post #15 of 17

I've been using land of lakes for quite awhile in my everyday cooking so just continued when doing cakes.  I've been military my entire life so I just naturally use the base commissary and rarely shop in other grocery stores. 

-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 12:30pm
post #16 of 17

good for you, dormcat -- and thank you for your and your family's service 

blush

vlasko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlasko Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 4:02am
post #17 of 17

If I want to make something of gourmet quality, Land O'lakes sells a premium butter that is excellent for buttercream.  Absolutely no shortening in my buttercream unless there is a special need for it. It's nasty.

If I want to keep costs down and am not trying to make something high end, I will just use store brand butter, even Walmart brand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%