3" Deep Pans

Baking By heidirv Updated 19 May 2017 , 10:47pm by remnant3333

heidirv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidirv Posted 3 Nov 2016 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 8

I only have 3" deep pans, should i invest in the 2" as most bakers prefer the shallower depth?

7 replies
Vergaline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vergaline Posted 3 Nov 2016 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 8

I like using a 3" pan when I want to do a layer cake but don't want the height of two 2" pans. After the cake is filled and frosted, you end up with a cake that is closer to 2 1/2" - 3 1/ 2" instead of a 4" height depending on your filling and how even you cut your cake. Hope this helps.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 8

You can always use the 3" and only fill for a 2".

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 5 Nov 2016 , 2:37am
post #4 of 8

I use 3" pans and fill them half full. I get a beautiful flat top and yummy cake scraps. Why spend money when you don't have to? Invest into more cake stuff!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 2:14am
post #5 of 8

@heidirv  I agree with the others, just use what you have.  With that said, how many 3" deep pans do you own?  Two?  Six?  Forty?

Are you in USA or other country or UK?   What do you want to bake?  Cheesecakes (3" pan = good), Fruit Cake (3" pan = good), Betty Crocker cake mix cakes? 

If you only have 2-4 3" deep pans and want to make a LOT more cakes that are the USA standard of 2" deep, then by all means, purchase new pans. 

VERY IMPORTANT!   Always purchase the exact same brand (example:  Magic Line, or Fat Daddio's, or Wilton) rather than mixing and matching different pans from different manufacturers because the different manufacturers' pans each bake a little bit different than the other manufacturers' pans.  Another tip:  I recommend you purchase TWO of each size you need.  Example:  2 each 8"x2" round, 2 each of 10"x2" round, etc.   Purchasing two identical pans at the same time isn't exactly necessary, but it sure as heck cuts down on the time it takes to make a 4" high tier. 

If you are just starting to purchase pans--buy MAGIC LINE.   Best of the best.   Second best:  Fat Daddios.

whatthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthecake Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 12:07am
post #6 of 8

I use 3 inch pans and I can't imagine going back to a shallower pan.

Vergaline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vergaline Posted 19 May 2017 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much.

Vergie

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 19 May 2017 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 8

So do y'all put oven on lower temperature since it would be thicker and cook longer? Wouldn't it burn if you cooked at 350 degrees? Should it be 325 instead?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%