Cake Stands

Decorating By macdonaldb Updated 18 Sep 2016 , 1:26am by kakeladi

macdonaldb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macdonaldb Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hello, I have a concern with a wedding cake I'm doing. I have a tiered cake. 8,"10"  and 12" the bottom tier is on a 14" drum board. The bride wants it to sit on a 12" glass cake stand. Is this possible or will it tumble because the stand is smaller. This is my fear. Any help is appreciated.  

Thank you 

Brenda

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 5

It won't tumble but depending on the stand you might not see it (the stand) or it might look odd. I'd not put the cake on a 14" plate then. What's the need? Unless you have some sort of decoration that requires an extra inch around the cake you could just skip it and leave the cake on a 12" board. Glue a thin 10" board underneath so you can lift it up easier.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 5

Look at the cake stand beforehand.  Most have a curled edge, and even though they claim to be 12" in diameter, the space where the cake sits is not 12".

macdonaldb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macdonaldb Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for helping me out. It does have a 14" drum board covered in fondant.  I've suggested no stand they have real flowers being placed on bottom and top of cake.

Thanks again

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Sep 2016 , 1:26am
post #5 of 5

If the stand has the lip leah mentioned even having the cake on a 14" drum might/could cause a bit of a problem. It depends on what kind of base the stand has.  The smaller the base the more likely to be a problem.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%