Help With These Arches

Decorating By sarahnichole975 Updated 25 Jul 2016 , 3:14am by -K8memphis

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 2:23am
post #1 of 13

I have a last minute bride for July 16 and she wants these arches on her cake. I am planning on building an acrylic separated platform but what to use to make those arches and columns? I have searched molds under every thing I can think for Google.  TIA. [postimage id="4474" thumb="900"]

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 8:21am
post #2 of 13

i'd try piping royal icing -- i'd try using various graduated sizes of a rose tube -- those are really thick -- i think i might let them dry in between layers with the largest rose tube on the outside of course --

or it could be done with a large round tube too  -- just guessing -- start with the smallest row on the innermost part of the arch -- let that dry -- add another layer right on top of that then over pipe it -- let it dry -- repeat two more times -- then on the top row use  a brush to smooth it over to erase the piping lines so it dries smooth --

two possibilities

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 11:31am
post #3 of 13

I think I would make a gumpaste base for each arch and then pipe with royal to build each arch up.  Good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 13

that's a good idea too from cutiger and another thought -- you can strengthen the royal with gum arabic -- just a powder comes in a little spice jar y'know -- available at most dedicated cake deco stores -- or online -= three or four bucks u.s.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 13

the good news is that they were dried flat -- you don't have to round them for the curvature of the round tiers but you do need to get the dimensions correct of course so they fit all they way around efficiently --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 1:54am
post #6 of 13

Quote by @cutiger on 14 hours ago

I think I would make a gumpaste base for each arch and then pipe with royal to build each arch up.  Good luck!

That was my 1st thought also.

I hope you are charging out the wahzoo for this last minute special request!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 2:00am
post #7 of 13

Oh and to make the columns make thick ropes of fondant/or gp then grace them w/royal.   OR maybe you can use regular plastic pillars, coat them w/royal and add that > to each.....that might be better as then each would be exactly the size needed for support.  On the arches I think they are a take-off of Lambeth work.....any chance you know what I'm talking about?  Have the book??  Use descending sizes of round tips one on top of the other to build up the top most line, and leaving one or two (size & #) off each one as you work down the arch.  Is that clear as mud?? :) 

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 13

scott clark woolley in his book 'cakes by design ' makes pillars by using wood dowel 5/8" by 4.5" -- then cutting fondant or fondant gum paste mix -- into rectangles 4.5" tall and the right size to wrap around the pillar -- apply gum glue to the surface to adhere and just roll it up -- let it stand to dry -- he also says he covers the seam with bits of fondant then sands them smooth -- you could also fill in the seam with royal -- 

I've made plenty of royal icing decor designed to stand away, y'know be 3-d from a tier cake and it works perfectly -- the flowers at the join where the pillars meet the arch would disguise any slight difference in colors and texture from royal to fondant -- and the royal is much lighter than the gum paste -- so for me I would not use the gum paste for arches just royal -- so they are as light as whipped egg whites to apply -- 

y'know the white window frame behind the cake kinda spoils the effect -- makes it look like the window is part of the cake -- fills in some of that incredible airy-ness -- but it's a very intricate cake so very well done --

can't wait for pictures blush.png

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 13

this cake really intrigues me because it's gonna depend on skill and accuracy not just popping things out of silicone molds -- very cool -- best to you

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 13

ok wait -- I was paraphrasing and I didn't get it right -- he said to roll out a kinda thick piece of fondant or f/gp -- brush the dowel with gum glue -- lay dowel on one side of the fondant -- with a pizza cutter, a rolling cutter, square off the top, bottom & one side -- roll it up and cut off the excess to fit

sarahnichole975 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 2:06am
post #11 of 13

I ended up just buying molding and cutting it on a miter and then making a squared mold that I pressed Gum paste into and then bent them into shape. I dried them flat but next time (if there was one) I would dry them curved. I did glue the pillars to the acrylic disks with an epoxy type glue I got from michaels. It worked wonders! I left a little lip for a place to rest my arches and covered them in fondant. The flowers were fresh and they worked perfectly and I think I loved them more than sugar ones even for the look of the cake. I was thrilled with it as were the MOB and bride. 

[postimage id="4726" thumb="900"]

sarahnichole975 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 2:08am
post #12 of 13

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I would have loved to do royal icing, but it terrifies me. Especially down here in the summer. 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 3:14am
post #13 of 13

it's gorgeous -- great job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%