Wedding Cake & Gold Dragees Help!

Decorating By meghanm Updated 22 Jun 2016 , 11:00pm by costumeczar

meghanm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanm Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 12

[postimage id="4328" thumb="900"]

I have an order for this wedding cake and I have no idea how to go about the jewelry detail on the middle tier. Any ideas?! Please help!

11 replies
LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 12

I'm sorry I have to ask: how did you accept the order, knowing you have no idea how to go about it?

Also, you can buy edible gold pearls/beads.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 12

@LelekBolek ‍ she just said she has an order, not that she accepted it, but I know what you mean! Nothing like getting in over your head and then asking for someone else to dig you out!

Looks to me like they are just dragees in differing sizes strategically placed (and completely time consuming), which leads me to believe that it's not real cake.  That is one expensive tier in any case!

meghanm Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 12

It is for a friend and she knows that I'm still trying to figure out how to do that part, so I haven't told her if u could do it for sure or not.  and I already planned on using the dragees but it appears to have some kind of border around the detail part. I was just wanting to get some ideas on how to go about that

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 12

Judging by the way the gold beads are draping on the right side.  I'd say those are strands of non-edibles.  I agree, it would a whole lot of time consuming work to do it in dragees.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 12

To me, the draped beads and dragees look like they were adhered one at a time, because you can kind of see a little waviness and some of the adhesive underneath. (particularly noticeable on the bottom strand of metallic beads)

The jewelry pieces, my best guess are individually made from  gumpaste using a silicone mold, painted in metallic silver paint and the dragees attached to the centers. Really hard to tell from the photo, though. It could all be nonedibles! 

LelekBolek Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 12

What others said. This can be a non-edible craft store decoration, or fondant with beads attached, or completely by-hand design, last two being very time and labor consuming options. I did a South-Western Jewelry fondant decorations before, and judging just from how much effort and time something like that takes, I hope your friend knows what she is asking you to do. 

If all by hand - there is a huge price tag attached to this cake. Please don't sell yourself short. Friend or not friend, this might be a too expensive of a project. 

LelekBolek Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 12

P.S. I don't mean to sound rude at all. Just don't want you to fall into a situation that spins out of control, where expectations aren't met, pressures mount, nerves wrecked, and friendship strained. 

This is obviously for a very special occasion in your friend's life, so many strings can be attached... 

@640Cake ‍ - In my head, "I have an order" and "I got a request" mean respectfully  "I accepted" and "I'm contemplating" :-) I;m weird that way LOL

meghanm Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone for the input. I was just wanting some different ideas on what I could use for this, I wanted to discuss with her the different options we could use for this design, edible, non-edible and just wanted some outside information. 

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 12

Yes this will be time consuming, as everyone said. If you really have the time to make your own beads, there's this.....

And  consider making that middle tier a dummy cake, that way you can make ahead of time.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 10:14pm
post #11 of 12

And that main piece, reminds me of a beaded applique, probably made to look like bride's dress. Very detailed, the more I look at, the more I' thinking dummy cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 11:00pm
post #12 of 12

I think it's a combination of real beading and dragees. The large ornament on the tier is real beads if I'm seeing it right, and the rhinestones on the bottom of the top tier are real rhinestones. That's my guess, anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%