Cake With Opening Lid?

Decorating By alschmelzle Updated 5 Jun 2016 , 1:27pm by costumeczar

alschmelzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alschmelzle Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 5

So box cakes are nothing new.  It's easy to make a cake look like it has a lid and maybe that lid is slightly ajar.  What I would like to know is if it is possible to make a cake with a lid that actually opens and closes like a real box? 

I am making a tackle box cake for a friends dad who loves fishing and I had the idea of having the lid moveable so little fondant fish lures could be revealed on the inside!  I thought the lid could be made out of rice krispies so that it's light weight.

Any ideas?

4 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 6:49am
post #2 of 5

The lid could be made out of a corresponding size cakeboard covered in matching fondant. Even lighter?

bake101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake101 Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 10:19am
post #3 of 5

To make a lid movable, you might need to do a little bit of construction work and a trip to a tool shop. You might need to use hinges to attach the lid to the main cake. I have seen a piano cake tutorial that showed how to do this. Sorry i couldn't find a link to it now. You can also have it made for you if you know someone that works with woods or someone that makes architectural models. Hope that helps

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 5

T o add to cakebaby2's reply;  you can use gumpaste instead of fondant . Do the top first, let it dry then attach the sides with gum glue and let those dry. You may have to prop the sides up so they don't collapse before they dry.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 5

I'd do it with a plastic board covered in fondant and hinged with real hinges that are hot glued on. Build the part of the cake that sits with hinges out of plastic board, then put it up against the cake in the back. Have a couple of sides on it so that you can stand it up against the cake and decorate it all in one piece. You could adjust the height of the side pieces so that the cake was higher then the board so that you can dig it out a little to make a cavity to put things in. Here's my sophisticated diagram:[postimage id="4097" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%