Chocolate Covered Pretzels

Decorating By Lisa93063 Updated 1 Jun 2016 , 8:43am by HotPink_LipGloss

Lisa93063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa93063 Posted 31 May 2016 , 2:51am
post #1 of 5

Hi All!

Want to try my hand at chocolate covered pretzels. Can I use melted chocolate chips? Or do I have to use the chocolate coating wafers? I really like the taste of chocolate chips better. Thank you.

4 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 31 May 2016 , 3:42am
post #2 of 5

You probably could, just add some shortening or oil to thin it down when you melt them.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 31 May 2016 , 6:05am
post #3 of 5

You are better off using candy melts (chocolate coating wafers) because if you use chocolate chips they will melt instantly when touched by warm human fingers and melt all over the fingers.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 4:24am
post #4 of 5

I've done it both ways and really like how the chips taste.  Biggest problem I found was that the once melted, then the dipped item can develop 'bloom' - graying of the choco when the temp changes because you have not tempered the choco.  

As for Apti's comment I usually leave a small area uncovered so they are not touching the choco .

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 8:43am
post #5 of 5

The candy melts would be better in my experience. Chocolate chips have additives in them so that they stay soft after being heated. That gets quite messy after you dip things with it especially if you live in a warmer climate. The chocolate on the pretzel  tends to stick to the packaging it's in or to each other if you don't package them individually. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%