Wedding Cake Help!!

Baking By tinamarie124 Updated 11 May 2016 , 1:24pm by ropalma

tinamarie124 Posted 11 May 2016 , 4:05am
post #1 of 4

I am helping a friend out and doing her wedding cake this weekend. It is a last minute thing, as the original person doing the cake has cancelled . 

The cake she wants is a 4 tier cake,  with taller tiers than normal (6in instead of 4in tall)

I have only ever done a few wedding cakes, and I have always made my tiers with 2 2in layers. Stacked with milk shake straws and cake circles.

She says I should be able to use 3in pans, bake two layers, to make 6in tall tiers. Is this the correct method? I have never made 3in tall  layers before, or even baked in 3in pans. Also I am not sure how the support system would work? I thought it would be better to bake 3, 2in layers instead? 

Any tips or suggestions? I am panicking a little lol.

3 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 11 May 2016 , 4:21am
post #2 of 4

Stick with what you know, use the 2" and add an extra layer, hey more filling, yum! Not sure on the straws, somebody will advise.

vegecaker Posted 11 May 2016 , 4:35am
post #3 of 4

I use bubble tea straws.  They are sturdier than regular milkshake straws.

ropalma Posted 11 May 2016 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 4

If you are doing 6" that is a double barrel.  Usually you would do 2 3" cakes.  Put a board and support system between each cake as you stack.  This way you will also get more servings.  It would be ackward to cut a 6" piece of cake.

Here is a link to a double barrel

Quote by @%username% on %date%