Sheet Cakes

Business By ehelwig Updated 26 Apr 2016 , 10:41pm by kakeladi

ehelwig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehelwig Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 3

Hello fellow bakers!

I don't know why, but I am confused when it comes to sheet cakes.  I never have orders for them; people usually order round cakes.  When I look online I see different sizes & serving sizes.  I also am not really sure what to charge.  

I've seen that a 1/4 sheet is 9x13, 1/2 is 12x18, full is 16x24.  I've seen a 11x15 thrown in there too.  

I have a customer that needs about 65 servings, and wants a double layer sheet cake.  I'm thinking 11x15 for $100.  Does this sound right?

Thanks!

2 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 3

I have not seen 11 X 15 but a 12x18 is a half sheet that will serve 36 - 54 party size pieces depending on how you cut it.  I charge by the serving.  You will have to figure out if you want to go with the high number or lower and then calculate from there.  I think $100 is fair if you do not have to do much decorating to it.  I charge $3 a serving so 65 by that would be a lot more than $100.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 3

Sorry I can't find the exact thread laying out exactly what and why the terms of quarter, half and full sheets comes from.  But basically a full sheet is what bakeries used for everything from loaves of bread to cookies to cakes.  When families started getting smaller and more health conscious smaller sizes were needed to they started cutting those full sheets in half, then in half again thus came the 1/2 and 1/4 sheets.  The sizes that resulted are12x8 for a 1/4 and 12x16 for a 1/2.  This also corresponds with the size of the cake boards and boxes  sold making it better to box up the cake for customers :)   Really, I wish everyone would forget about those 'off sizes'.  

A *double* layer will make it 11x15x4 therefore servings should be a 1x2x4 slice.   Not 'party size' but 'wedding size' - which basically end up the same amount of cake.  

Not knowing where you live (which affects pricing a great deal) it's hard to suggest if $100 is enough.  I'm thinking maybe not.  It also depends on how it's decorated - fondant or b'cream. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%