Travelling With A Fondant Cake

Decorating By Neha8323 Updated 12 Apr 2016 , 6:41am by cakebaby2

Neha8323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neha8323 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 3

Hello,

I am planning on doing a wine barrel cake for my sister in law's birthday in 2 weeks. I have to travel with the cake 5 hours away to LA. I was thinking of doing a double barrel cake with 2x8"white and 2x8"choc cakes, icing with buttercream, filling with fresh strawberries and covering in fondant. I was thinking of placing the cake in an ice chest (after seran wrapping it). I just did a fondant cake last weekend with same filling and refrigerated it overnight. I took it out 3-4 hours prior to the event and removed the wrap last minute. There was no sweating on the cake so I feel like it should be fine for fondant to be in the ice chest. But my only concern is the stability of the cake. I am new to decorating so am unsure about whether a double barrel cake will stay intact throught the 5 hour journey.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Neha 

2 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 6:39am
post #2 of 3

First off drive carefully! The cake should be boxed, then the box saran wrapped before placing in ice chest. Fresh fruit can be trick,y esp strawberries as they give off so much juice , juice x buttercream = slippy slidey filling?

Maybe a fresh fruit puree would be more stable. Make sure the cake is well dowelled between the double barrels, well chilled beforehand and secured safely in the car on a non slip mat.

Good luck x

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 6:41am
post #3 of 3

That's a cooked fresh fruit puree of course, mashing the fruit alone would just be as juicy and slippery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%