What Size Of Flower Was Used Here?

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 11 Apr 2016 , 7:25pm by -K8memphis

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 26

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/509258670345618490/

Ladies and Gents,

Could you look at the above cake and give me your opinion?  The second from the bottom tier...are those gumpaste roses?  I'm guessing the larger one in the set of three is about 1" across?  I've been all over the internet and I can only find pre made flowers about 1.5" or bigger.  I think that would be too big.  And there is no way I could make them that small, I'm just not that talented, nor do I have time.  Thoughts???  Some great place on the internet that sell premade small flowers?

Thank you!!

Christina

25 replies
BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 26

My (insanely inexpert) guess would be either molds or royal icing roses.  I've gotten some royal icing roses here: Wholesale Sugar Flowers, and I've been happy with them.  I get the smaller (usually "small" & "petite") white roses and color them with petal dusts, instead of ordering the colored ones, because the colors in the photo did not match the ones on the actual flowers!  Otherwise I'd be looking at Global Sugar Art for rose molds... 

mrsmac888 Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 26

Baker,

Thank you.  I've ordered from Wholesale before, and couldn't remember the name!  I'll check with them.

C~

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 26

You're welcome!  Gorgeous cake - can't wait to see your version!!! :)

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 26

These are some gumpaste mold options as well with the leaves as was shown.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allforhome-Silicone-flowers-Decorating-Fondant/dp/B00ISHDQ1W

Here is a garland of 3 roses very similar to what was shown...

http://www.sugaricing.com/ProductPage.aspx?productID=1903

Alot of options here...

https://www.etsy.com/market/rose_silicone_mold

mrsmac888 Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 26

Creativeconfectioner!  Silicone mold!  What a great idea.  I have not gone that route before, do you just press in the gumpaste, let it dry and pop it out?  Is it possible it's that simple?

Thank you!!!!!

C~

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 26

I'd guess that those are royal icing, but you can find rose molds that size. I think that the petals on those are a little too deep to be from a mold, but it's hard to see clearly so I could be wrong about that.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 26

[postimage id="3498" thumb="900"]yeah, too small to see clearly. As the gals said: could be molds, could be royal icing piped, could be buttercream frozen in a mold.

@mrsmac888 ‍ there are so many silicone molds now for roses, in all sizes.  I just recently purchased a few and (of course) with my Love of homemade modeling chocolate I tried it out for some cupcakes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 26

depends on the size of your tier too -- at 1" to 1.5" sizes all you would have to do is be sure your tier was nice and tall -- a good 4" minimum then just place the 1.5" flower just lower than the  ones  on the either side -- no worries

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 9:38pm
post #10 of 26

i mean if you're doing a small tier yes those sizes will be a problem but just depends on the size cake you are baking needs to be at least probably 9" would work on a 10" -- but i haven't especially measured because i would have piped those and adjust the sizes as needed -- look at the cake pans and pipe/rock on

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 26

The roses in the pictured cake are definitely NOT from a mold.  The petals are too sharp.  I would go w/royal icing ones.  Personally I don't like the look of most of those molded ones.

And yes, OP, one just pushed some gp into a mold,nice, deep and firmly;   don't wait for it to dry, pop it out right away, then let them dry.

mrsmac888 Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 10:37pm
post #12 of 26

Ladies,

I'm so glad I asked you for advice.  I was convinced it was "too silly".

Costumeczar-I too think they are royal icing, but I stink at making tiny flowers by hand, especially roses.

MemphisK8- I'm attempting the cake as pictured.  6", 8", 10", 12", 14".  My cakes are always at least 4" tall.  So, I'm thinking the middle flower cant' be bigger than 1.5" 

Kakeladi- I definitely don't think they are molded, but in a pinch I may have to go that way.  

I've not tried making royal icing roses, so I'll have to give that a try and see how it goes.  I can definitely pipe a rose better than making one by hand from gum paste.  I know, practice and more practice.

MBalaska - I love those flowers!  Where did you get your molds?

Thank you again!  You are all so helpful!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 26

@mrsmac888 ‍ I think that all of those were from the Blue Goat Studios on Etsy.  I just don't have good enough eyes to see your photo clearly, sorry.  However,  I'm positive that my rose molds  would look better  with your fondant if you choose to go that way.   I'm into flavor,  food for fun, and party treats, not business.  So when someone says they don't like my Mad Baker scientist experiments and ask "Who are you going to please with that?"

I answer.........."Me baby, ME"  hahahahhahahha

-K8memphis Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 1:43am
post #14 of 26

that cake has at least a 3" difference from tier to tier fwiw

mrsmac888 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 2:05pm
post #15 of 26

K8memphis, What do you mean?  You don't think the tiers are the same height?  Do you think they are taller than 4"?

MBalaska, The photo is hard to really analyze, I agree.  I wish I had the ability to super size a picture and still be able to see it clearly!  FYI, I'm doing the cake in buttercream.  I don't usually do fondant.  

:-)

monmel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monmel Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 26

-K8memphis Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 4:01pm
post #17 of 26

i mean they are more like 4x7x10x13x16 -- 3" difference from tier to tier

than they are 6x8x10x12x14 -- 2" difference from tier to tier

the silhouette is different than just 2" difference (around) between tiers 

look & see how big the ledges look to you -- at least an inch & half do you think

monmel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monmel Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 4:33pm
post #18 of 26

I think they are buttercream with the Russian tip

mrsmac888 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 4:42pm
post #19 of 26

K8memphis, Ah, yes.  I see what you mean.  Unfortunately, I don't have 2" difference pans.  Only even sized pans.  Hopefully it won't make that big of a difference.  

monmel, Russian tip???  Please expand on this idea.  What's a Russian tip?  Oh the new things I learn!!!!!  

-K8memphis Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 10:48pm
post #20 of 26

if it was important you could trim any cake just a half inch all the way around and you're there --

-K8memphis Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 10:50pm
post #21 of 26

some people get nervous without that outside crust on the cake -- so just a thought

mrsmac888 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 3:25pm
post #22 of 26

UGH!!!!  After all the help I've gotten from you ladies on the flowers for this cake, I just got an email from the bride.  She wants me to do baby blue silk roses on the cake, instead of what is pictured.  WHAT?

What do you do when the customer wants what you (the decorator) don't think will look right????  Do you just keep your mouth shut and do it?

Sigh.....

-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 4:08pm
post #23 of 26

i have no problem expressing my professional opinions at consults but it depends -- in the beginning of my career when i sometimes babysat pebbles for fred & wilma (flintstone) i would have done that cake w/silk no problem-o because in my mind it would not look bad -- it still would look good if you got those real tiny roses -- that would be very pretty 

but today i would not want to put silk flowers on a buttercream cake for sanitary reasons

mrsmac888 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 5:12pm
post #24 of 26

I would say the sanitary reasons is my biggest hangup.  I'm thinking I could make a small, thin medallion of gumpaste or fondant and put it between the cake and the silk flowers.  That would at least make me feel better.  

Second hangup, I personally don't like silk flowers on a cake UNLESS that is the only decorations.  Like a spray across the top of a simple cake or flowers flowing down the side.  But a buttercream decorated cake with silk flowers on it, I don't know,  I just do see it.

Anyway, I guess I'll do it and hope for the best!!!!  :-)\

Thank you K8-you are always such a great help and sounding board!!!!

((((hugs))))

C~

-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 7:22pm
post #25 of 26

when a decorator sees a cake with flowers they want to enjoy the craftsmanship involved -- and as decorators we want to scratch that itch -- but almost everyone else doesn't see it that way at all -- they just see a pretty cake and that's ok 'cause that's  just the way we are -- i like the shield you are proposing -- 

(((hugs))) right back atcha

-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 7:25pm
post #26 of 26

in the meantime set up a station with icing bag, scissors, rose tube & nail and practice roses every day for 10-12 minutes -- 

clap.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%