Freezing/storing Decorated Cakes

Baking By kbillmeyer Updated 2 Apr 2016 , 4:19am by kakeladi

kbillmeyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbillmeyer Posted 1 Apr 2016 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I have a 2 tiered cake and a smash cake I need to have decorated by the 16th.  I have them baked, leveled, wrapped and frozen as we speak, I just need to pull them out and decorate them.  Here's the kicker, I told the lady I'd have them done, and I will, but I found out I need to have surgery on my knee on the 14th.  She knew that I possibly was gonna have to have knee surgery and was fine with me freezing these cakes till she needed them, (she's a returning customer).  My question is, do you think I'd be able to decorate them on the 13th and refridgerate them till the 16th?  Or should I decorate them and refreeze them like I planned on doing?  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cover a 2 tiered cake for storage in a freezer or fridge?  Thanks in advance!!

3 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 12:29am
post #2 of 4

Freeze it. I did a 2 tier that I kept frozen for a week because of a date change. I placed the cake in a box, wrapped the box in Saran wrap and foil. Took it from the freezer to the fridge 24 hours before party, and the day of from the fridge to the counter. It is important to leave all of the wrappings on as it comes to room temperature, and all of the condensation will collect on the outside of the box. It was perfect.

kbillmeyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbillmeyer Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 3:03am
post #3 of 4

Awesome!!  Thanks for the input!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 4:19am
post #4 of 4

I agree w/ ypierce :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%