I Need Some Advice On Pricing Cakes.

Baking By biscocho72 Updated 23 Mar 2016 , 9:18pm by Cakes_and_Faith

biscocho72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biscocho72 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 1:10am
post #1 of 8

Hello,

I have several requests for similar styles cakes and  need some advice on pricing. The wonder women cake I have a request for a mini three tier cake.  Any advice is appreciated.  

thanks

[postimage id="3300" thumb="900"][postimage id="3301" thumb="900"][postimage id="3302" thumb="900"][postimage id="3303" thumb="900"]

7 replies
Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 3:09am
post #2 of 8

You have several different designs that represent different levels of effort. This has been discussed a bunch of times but a quick recap of what I did when I started:

• Calculate the cost of your goods (fondant, board, feathers, etc) 
  • Calculate the cost of your time (how much are you willing to work for per hour)
  • Look at what other people are charging for custom cakes. Do not try to match bakeries or supermarkets as these are typically not the same quality or level of effort. 
  • Charge for delivery

I generally charge $7 a serving with a minimum charge of $350 but everyone is different. Sometimes my cakes are more complex and then I have a cake fee rather per serving.  At the end of it all, make sure it's worth your time. When I started I made a lot of cakes for low cost so I could perfect techniques and wanted to try new things. It took some time for me to ween my friends off of low pricing but I eventually did.

Hope that helps...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 4:47am
post #3 of 8

1st of all you legally cannot sell 'wonderwomen'.  It is a copyright item and you could end up paying BIT TIME fines!  There is lots on this site regarding this matter.  I suggest you study the issue.  You could loose you home and all you have!

Pricing has also been discussed many, many times in many, many different ways on this site also.  It depends on your location and skill level.  As the previous poster replied those are the steps one needs to take to figure out how much to sell any one cake for.

biscocho72 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much!   Yes, thank you Kakeladi for the information yes, I am aware with the copyright.  Sorry didn't state all the info in my previous message.  The customer sent me the pic of the cake she was given as a gift which was the (wonder women).  She loved it so much that she  would like only  the same size cake but different theme ( zebra print with pink) for her cousins birthday.  I personally haven't made any  Mini  three tier cakes before just larger size one.  Honestly, I think the Mini cakes are adorable but I assume harder. :)

Thanks again for the advice!   Happy baking!

Thank you! :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 8

Depending  on how mini, yes they can be a pain to work on.  What sizes are you talking as mini?  Something like 6,4, 2 won't be as bad as say a 4, 2, 1 :)  The larger the base, the easier it will be but still a pain.  Those little buggers slide around all over the place.  And usually you don't even need to dowel them - just use lots of b'cream to hold them together.

biscocho72 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 8

More like 6, 4, 2.   Lol.. I know it will be challenging.  Thank you again! :)

biscocho72 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you Frank68 for you help! :)

Cakes_and_Faith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes_and_Faith Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 8

Definitely depends on your area. I'm in GA and the average cost per serving is $4 for buttercream cakes and $7 per serving for fondant cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%