Bakery Cake

Decorating By coloradocache Updated 21 Mar 2016 , 12:13am by coloradocache

coloradocache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradocache Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 8

Please, I don't mean to insult professional decorators, but has anyone bought a frosted, layered cake at a bakery and then taken it home and decorated it with fondant?  I was thinking this would be a real time saver for me.

I'm also curious - I've always made my buttercream frosting to crumb coat my cakes.....has anyone used canned frosting found in the baking isle at the grocery store to crumb coat?  I wasn't sure if the fondant would stick to canned frosting?

Thank you!

7 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 8

I don't see why that would be a problem. See if your bakery will sell you one. And no, it's not an insult. A lot of people here use box mixes. Most bakeries will sell you a basic iced cake (especially if they get them in frozen).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 8

Your local bakery might be willing to sell you a cake that is just crumb coated or just the layers themselves.  You don't have to tell them what you are going to do with them.  Sure you can used canned frosting.  It just dosn't taste very good.  Your final product isn't going to be 'yours' - it's a combination of other people's work.  You can't build a very good business on that.  It sounds like all you are interested in is time savers and not perfecting something you can be proud to say you created.  Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's just how you ? sounds.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 8

I'm not sure why it was assumed this was for business, but for personal use it's fine. For business use this is frowned upon unless your customer already knows about it before hand. And yes, Kakeladi  is being a bit harsh, but she's assuming you're selling it. She does give good advice on a regular basis though.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 8

Greetings, hon! I certainly don't think anyone has been offended with your query. But you've piqued my curiosity with a very interesting question that kakeladi brought up - if your cake is for personal or professional creation. 

coloradocache Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 8

I have never made a cake professionally.  I only make cakes a couple times a year for my family birthdays and I am proud of the work that I've done.  However, my grandson's 8th birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and I have no free time to start making his cake.  The guilt and stress of disappointing him on his birthday is far worse than the thought of purchasing a cake and decorating it with the spider man theme that he wants.  I appreciate the feedback you all have shared with me.  You are right, Kakelade that shortcuts probably won't taste very good but I find the  thought of those big, happy eyes and glowing smile on my grandson's face when he sees the cake for the 1st time much more heartwarming and love felt than how the cake tastes.  I'm just glad to hear that it should work!

Thank you everyone :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 8

Aahhh sorry I thought it was for a customer.  I now understand - and yes, those smiles and big eyes are probably worth going the route you thought of.  Did you call a local bakery and see if they would sell you just the layers?  Don't see why they would not & definitely  sell a plain, iced undecorated cake.  

coloradocache Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 12:13am
post #8 of 8

thanks kakeladi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%