How To Choose Your Coconut Oil Question, Please

Baking By -K8memphis Updated 17 Mar 2016 , 7:55pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 12

i know some about gmo and cold pressed and virgin, extra virgin those are on the good list -- trans fats, partially hydrogenated are bad blablabla but buying coconut oi/shortening is muy confusing -- and frankly i don't want to know any more than i already do about the processes -- i just want to buy the coconut oil/shortening that ain't gonna kill me that's supposed to be better than other oils -- the kind that will heal the sick and raise the dead if you believe the hype when you google it --

i mean a few years ago they stopped selling (did they ban it?) coconut oil which primarily was used for making the best popcorn e.v.e.r. -- because 'they' said it was killing us fast -- cholesterol and etc. --

so what kind do you get -- i was just at walmart and i got the louana brand cheap stuff but i feel it might kill me so i got the small jar -- time before that i got the grocery store brand in the big jar -- it didn't have any of the cold expeller pressed mild heat mumbo jumbo on it so idk -- does it really matter?

what kind do you get?

11 replies
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 12

and thank you

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 12

We get virgin coconut oil. I know their are differences depending on how strong you like the taste, kind of like olive oil. I think there is also a smoking point difference as well.

Refined = less coconut flavor,

Virgin/cold pressed = more flavor

-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 12

thank you, crafty

i would have taken a picture of all the choices-- except my camera button on my phone is broken -- the variety of choices are confusing so i'm just gonna conclude that all those don't matter i guess --

except the refined versus cold pressed virgin -- probably should forego the louana brand because it has no information about it's extraction process but it is endorsed by a TV chef that usually errs on the side of healthy -- so confusing and the louana is nearly half the price of the others --

but paying more doesn't mean a better oil -- grr -- have to check louana website...

kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 12

Crafty is right, the smoking point is different. As fair as which one to choose goes, it depends on two things...

1) If you like the coconut taste

2) what you are using it for

If you like the coconutty taste of the oil and you are using it for salad dressings or baking you can use cold pressed.

If you do not like the coconut taste or you are using it for frying or sauteing then you should get the refined.

I once naively deep fried with cold pressed coconut oil.... Bad bad bad idea because it can't stand the heat!

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 12

my last batch of coconut oil/shorteneing did not pop popcorn well -- maybe next time i will write down all the choices i am faced with -- camera on my phone is broken or i'd take pictures

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 12

i use it for baking btw 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 12

thank you kramersl

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 12

Quote by @-K8memphis on 59 minutes ago

my last batch of coconut oil/shorteneing did not pop popcorn well -- maybe next time i will write down all the choices i am faced with -- camera on my phone is broken or i'd take pictures

Oh we did that too! Came out fine for us, but it's pretty much liquid down here. If you're having a hard time with the virgin-cold pressed, heat it up a bit so it melts, then toss it with the popcorn like a salad! :)

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 12

that's a good idea, but i mean it was muy hot when i popped it, crafty --

wait you mean toss it onto popped popcorn instead of butter?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 12

Well just had to jump in here and say.............for me NONE of them would work as I am allergic to coconut :(

This whole coconut thing - oils, water etc would almost be death for me.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 12

no bueno, lynne-y -- easiest answer yet avoid the whole dang thing! ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%