Views No Orders??

Business By I-heart-cupcaKes Updated 19 Feb 2016 , 5:48pm by Singerssoul

I-heart-cupcaKes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
I-heart-cupcaKes Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 7

Hello All!

I am a home based baker that is solely online right now for my area (Columbus, Ohio). I have a Facebook page (for now) and in January sold out of my Wine and Cupcake Tasting Event and even had people lined up at the door ready to pay in person to come in. I had rave reviews and excited and satisfied customers  (some wishing they knew of my business for thier wedding because my cakes were better). For Valentine's Day a few orders came in and everyone was excited and loved them!

However, on a daily basis I average about 230 views per post on my Facebook page, but no likes, comments or orders and only 5 reviews. 

What am I doing wrong?? Any advice would be great.

Here is my page link as well: https://m.facebook.com/Youngs-Bakery-249473051752859/

6 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't worry about fb.  I get very little "likes" but I always hear, "OH, I saw that cake on your fb page and loved it!"  Or, "I love seeing the new cakes on your fb page!"  But, those people are not interacting with my page (liking and commenting).

You need to have a website so people can google and find you.  I've found that the people who are willing to spend big money on custom cakes are not on fb.  In fact, the vast majority of my clients do not even have fb pages.

I-heart-cupcaKes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
I-heart-cupcaKes Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 7

Great feedback and insight! I'll take that into account! I've been pondering a website. I've been thinking about having a youngsbakery.name.com, but I think it wouldoes probably be best (easy to memorize), if it were a .com! Which domain do you use?

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 7

I made my website myself, using WIX.  It was pretty simple.  I mean, it took me a while because I had no clue what I was doing-but I did it.  Once you play with it for a bit, you get used to it.  You can have a free website or pay for it.  I chose to pay because I didn't want the WIX banner on my pages.

AS far as domain, you have to pay for that too but it's fairly inexpensive and you can do it through your website provider as long as the name is available.  

I know there are other website providers.  Maybe someone else will chime in with some names for ya:)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 7

I use GoDaddy as my domain registrar, and I switched from Yahoo to Wordpress for my website this past summer. GoDaddy also does websites so it might be easier to just have everything in one place.I'm thinking of switching it over there again but I have to look into it.

When you see the number of facebook views it doesn't mean that people actually saw the post. That's the number of people that facebook showed the post to in their timelines. You want to look at the engagement rte to see how many people are actually interacting with your post. They show you that at the right of your business page. And they're changing their algorithm this month, so things might get better or worse again, no telling how that will play out. There are things that you can do to trick facebook into showing more of your posts to people, but good content is what will make people engage with the post. Higher engagement will make facebook's algorithm show the post to more people, so you want the engagement, not just the views.

But think about it this way...If you have a page that has 500,000 fans (a lot of which are probably fake accounts but that's another story) and only 100 people like your post, you're much worse off engagement-wise than someone who has 5000 fans and 100 people liking the post.

BeeBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBakes Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 7

my facebook page is the same way. everyone tells me they love the stuff i post but the pics get few likes. bummer but i keep posting anyway. i heard some people say paying for the "promotions" didn't get them very far either.

so i started a website too. i used squarespace. 

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 7

I have a Facebook without much traffic, but I do have a website through Weebly.  I pay for the domain but the site is free.  I am thinking about upgrading to the paid for site, but for now the free site is working well.  I have a contact page that emails me clients inquiries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%