Advice On Recreating "swing" Cake

Decorating By TheKitchenEmpress Updated 7 Mar 2016 , 2:52am by kakeladi

TheKitchenEmpress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheKitchenEmpress Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 11

Good afternoon all,

I have a customer asking if I can recreate the cake she had at her first birthday (I don't think it's very attractive but, it's not my decision). Anywhos, what would you use to construct the swing that will withstand being transported AND hold the weight of the doll. 

THanks so much in advance!

56b0e7d85272c.jpeg

10 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 11

Hmmm, looking at the picture my best guess is they used popsicle sticks and iced over them!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 11

Those swing legs look much wider than popsicle sticks.  I'd think maybe thin styro (1/4"?) cut about 1" wide....maybe even double thick.  Also looks to me like the doll is a mini doll skirt - not the full sized one,.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 11

The swing doesn't need to hold the weight if the doll as the swing is actually not in the air but rather resting on the cake. Would do the frame out of RKT then pipe with bc.

TheKitchenEmpress Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 11

Good points everyone. Thank you for taking a look  relaxed.png

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 11

@kakeladi ‍ You're right, they are thicker than popsicle sticks -  tongue depressors?  stuck_out_tongue.png

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 11

they used two different colors of green icing to trim the swing and this is annoying me or maybe the photo got discolored?

TheKitchenEmpress Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 11

I'm cracking up! K8Memphis you are probably right. I think they may have run out of frosting and had to make some more to finish the trim.  lolol 

TheKitchenEmpress Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 11

Just following up to show you what i came up with.  I ended up constructing the swing out of chewy granola bars.  I was stunned that it held up all day considering that the customers house was hot from all the cooking they were doing. They were in tears at their little slice of nostalgia. THank you all for your input[postimage id="2891" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 11

how adorable and what a sweet customer -- granola bars perfect -- you did a great job

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 2:52am
post #11 of 11

What a great job you did on re creating such a different, lovely cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%