How Much Baking For Farmers Market

Business By paradise_swts Updated 4 Feb 2016 , 8:20pm by Jackie

paradise_swts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paradise_swts Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 1:06am
post #1 of 7

Hi all!

So I have signed myself up to be a vendor in a farmers market on Feb 13. Its the day before valentines day so hopefully ill have some sales. this will be my first... so my question is how much should I bake? I'm thinking of making some muffins anf fruit loaves as well as cupcakes cookies and cake pops. Ive recently started my own business so I want to use this as a way to get my name out there.

Any tips, suggestions or advice will be much appreciated!!

6 replies
paradise_swts Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 7

Bump.... anyone??

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 7

There are lots of threads on this. But the search bar doesn't always play nice so I use Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=cakes+at+farmers+markets&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 and found the relevant threads on here. The top result was Cake Central threads about selling at farmer's markets. Hope this helps!

I do know that a lot of people don't recommend selling at markets unless your target market is there. Most people go to get a deal. Make sure to do your homework and find out how many people attend regularly and how many other food vendors are there plus if anyone has similar things to you. The rule of thumb is only 10% will buy baked goods and that is shared that with the other vendors.

I've heard some do well and others bomb out. It really depends on the individual market.

paradise_swts Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 12:42am
post #4 of 7

Thank you @craftybanana2  ive tried to do a lot of research on this but I thought maybe someone could share their experience.

I'm not looking to get rich from a farmers market, but I'm new in the business so I want to get my name out. I will be the only baker in this market so hopefully ill have a few sales!

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 12:58am
post #5 of 7

Have you talked to the other vendors, done a walk-through to get an idea of foot traffic and type of customers that go? I know a few members on here have done farmer's markets and done well, not sure if they did cupcakes though. Take weather into account, you may need coolers to keep non-display cupcakes from melting if it'll be hot. I really wanted to go to my market, but a few things happened so it will be a while before I can go. Desserts marketed for two might be good to bring as well. Mimi_Fix has a blog post about farmer's markets: http://www.bakingfix.com/thefix/category/farmers-markets/ Her blog is always a good read!

paradise_swts Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 1:44am
post #6 of 7

thanks again for the reply @craftybanana2  

no I have not talked to any vendors. from what I know, theres about 15 vendors and I am the only baker.  it will be inside because temperatures here are freezing!! it is in town about 20 mins from the city I live in and as far as I know they don't have any bakerys other than the supermarket ones so I really want to make a good impression. I don't want to sell out too soon nor do I want to come home with a ton of leftovers!

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 7

this post has been restored after accidental deletion

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%