Champagne Gold Cake?

Decorating By Shays87 Updated 27 Jan 2016 , 9:35pm by kakeladi

Shays87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shays87 Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 6:57am
post #1 of 9

I am making a wedding cake and the bride has requested a champagne gold tier. Has anyone done this? I have never tried to do a gold color before?  Do I use luster dust or airbrush? Please help! Any suggestions or tips would be a life saver! 

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 9

Dusting w/an approved/edible gold dust would be my suggestion.  If you have an airbrush mix the dust w/alchole to spray it on.   This will work best on a fondant covered cake.

MagicMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MagicMoon Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 9

I had a wedding cake last week and the bride called her color champagne gold. I had chosen which gold luster dust I was going to use but the ribbon she brought me to match to wasn't a shimmer or metallic at all. She wanted more of a tan color. I used Ivory and Black Americolor gel paste to match it.  I've tried to attach a pic but the box doesn't work -guess it's my tablet. kakeladi is a guru on here so if it's metallic gold they want I'd certainly follow that advice. But if you don't know for certain it's a luster they want, I'd ask. My first choice would've been completely wrong. HTH

Shays87 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much for your advice! I am finally making progress with the cake! My bride said she wants a 3 tier cake with the middle teir being gold and some gold details on white fondant. My question is since the "champagne" color has a metalic sheen will a luster dust achieve this or is airbushing the better route? Thanks again for your help! I am learning as I go. :)

Shays87 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 9

56a7fda0b579d.pngThis is the colors inspiration. 

Shays87 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 9

This is the color/ and cake inspiration: 56a7ff370be83.png

MagicMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MagicMoon Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 6:05am
post #7 of 9

I think kakeladi's susggestion to mix luster with alcohol/extract and airbrush it onto the fondant is probably the most efficient way to go. You can use luster dusts mixed with the alcohol/extract either in the airbrush or painting with a brush. Either will give you the look you need. However, I think the airbrush is both easier and more uniform. Kakeladi is probably more experienced than I am so anything she recommends would be best. :-)

Shays87 Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 6:41am
post #8 of 9

That what I'm thinking I'll do. Have either of you (Magic Moon or kakeladi) used a luster dust to paint before? I am so new to this I am not even sure where the best place to buy product would be. How much do suppose I'll need to cover an 8" round? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 9

Yes I have used luster dusts both painted and airbrushed on both b'cream and fondant.  As I have been out of the loop of decorating for years now, I don't know where to recommend buying it.  There is/was a lady who developed a line of dusts that are 100% edible but can't remember her or her company name:(   Seem to me it might be something like Sugar Flair.  Try googling edible luster dusts.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  Oh, to cover an 8" R I would think you will need at least 1, possible 2 of the small containers that dusts usually come in.  A lot depends on how thick you apply it.....one or more coats to get the shade you want.

Once the dust is mixed w/alcohol you have to work fast (especially if painting vs airbrushing) as the alcohol evaps very fast.  Good thing is you just have to add more alcohol to what has dried.  You cannot just leave your AB when using dusts.  You *HAVE* to clean it very well or it will clog up the brush quickly.  If I remember right, cleaning it was just using plain alcohol/vodka run thru it several times after dunking it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%