Help!!! Soo Anxious Showing Client Their Cake!!

Business By tessholly1 Updated 5 Dec 2015 , 2:51pm by Jinkies

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 5 Dec 2015 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 3

I have been at this cake life now for just over 2 years, which I know isn't long compared to many of you here. But I still get unbelievably anxious when I either deliver a cake or a client is coming to collect it.. To the point where I feel physically sick and can't concentrate on anything else until the exchange has happened. As of yet (fingers crossed) iv never had an unhappy customer that I know of, yet for every single cake I do.. I analyse the clients face to see if they genuinely are happy with my work, even when they've said thanks etc and gone on with their day, I spend ages thinking 'they weren't OVERLY excited about the cake.. They must hate it!!' I try to remind myself that not everyone what's to jump up and down with joy when they see a nice cake (like I do) and maybe I'm looking to much into it but I cannot shake my anxiety and the pure dread I feel when the cake exchange is about to happen.. I ALWAYS can find at least 1 things I wish I had done differently or know could be better etc!! Please tell me I'm not the only one this stressed almost everyday.. How do you all cope!?!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2015 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 3

i am perfectly acquainted with the razor covered sandpaper of anxiety but if i had it for cakes like you do i would consider cutting back -- why knowingly put yourself through that --

on the other hand and for that very reason (that you should not put yourself through this 360 degree sandpapering) you gotta re-program your brain -- remind yourself how many successful cakes you have done and all the glee joy and cellulite er i mean luscious desserts you have provided to hundreds of people -- 

you know the deal about past performance being a predictor of future results -- go for it -- simply don't let your thoughts take you down that well worn path -- change your self talk -- treat yourself better -- 

another thing envision getting a complaint and how you would handle it -- just so you have a plan not to wear yourself down but just so you have an idea where to go if/when you might need to go there -- don't overdo that though -- 

you can always pop a valerian too -- it's an over the counter herb that's been used for centuries as a sleep aid -- it just takes the edge off -- no real side effects but i mean no driving for about 4 hours or more per pill

i getcha but the answer is inside your heart -- love yourself too much to cause that pain & hurt --

best of the best of all sweet & wonderful creations and creating to you

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 5 Dec 2015 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 3

Wow, I could have written your post.  Trust me, it will get worse if you don't nip this in the bud.  I was starting the anxiety at the 1st email.  I recently delivered a cake that had me up all night stressing about the delivery.  I hated the cake and really did not want to deliver it.  The client was literally jumping up and down with excitement she loved it so much. My hubby thought I was losing my mind. I think I was, haha

You need to start telling yourself positive thoughts.  The client picked you because they liked your work.  They've seen your work so they are not expecting more than your capable of.  Clients are looking at your cakes with a total different "eye" than you are.  They are not seeing those little things that drive you nuts.  They are looking at your cake and thinking, "how the heck did she do that?".

Stop the negative thoughts and keep saying the positives over and over again.  You need to re-train your mind.  If you do this, it will get better-trust me-I've been doing it myself.  What's the worst that can happen?  Someones not happy with their cake.  Oh well, no one will die over it. 

You got this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%