Gold Fondant Color

Decorating By Lollipopstop Updated 3 Dec 2015 , 2:18am by Dewey_Durden

Lollipopstop Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hi There:

I am in the process of making a Gold power ranger cake for a customer and would like to ask how you all get the perfect gold fondant color. I am not necessarily wanting a "shimmer" look to the cake, more of a silky type color. Please let me know what you may have tried in the past. Thank you so much!! Ali

4 replies
Honey6983 Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 5

I have used Americolor gold to first color the fondant, then airbrush vodka/gold luster dust mixture on top. If you're working with smaller pieces, I recommend coloring the fondant gold first, then painting the vodka/luster dust mixture on top with a brush.

Lollipopstop Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you Honey6983 for your suggestion. What do you mean by vodka dust mixture? Sorry if this question sounds you mean actual vodka? Thanks

costumeczar Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 1:52am
post #4 of 5

Use vodka to water down the luster dust because the alcohol will evaporate quickly and won't dissolve the fondant or whatever it was you're painting on. If you want a really smooth finish you can get some edible paint for cakes. Rainbow dust makes my favorite one, it goes on really nicely and gives you a good smooth color.

Dewey_Durden Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 2:18am
post #5 of 5

My favorite way to achieve the gold color on a fondant cake it to airbrush it with AmeriColor airbrush colors (they have a flat gold color and also a metallic gold color).  If you are working with smaller details/decorations I like to use gold luster dust mixed with lemon extract.  I prefer the lemon extract over the vodka because it evaporated quicker and is easier to work with.  I have had some trouble in the past using vodka, it got a little gummy).  

You can play around mixing different ratios of dust to extract to getting the consistency you like best for the "painting" you will be doing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%