Gold Fondant Color

Decorating By Lollipopstop Updated 3 Dec 2015 , 2:18am by Dewey_Durden

Lollipopstop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lollipopstop Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hi There:

I am in the process of making a Gold power ranger cake for a customer and would like to ask how you all get the perfect gold fondant color. I am not necessarily wanting a "shimmer" look to the cake, more of a silky type color. Please let me know what you may have tried in the past. Thank you so much!! Ali

4 replies
Honey6983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey6983 Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 5

I have used Americolor gold to first color the fondant, then airbrush vodka/gold luster dust mixture on top. If you're working with smaller pieces, I recommend coloring the fondant gold first, then painting the vodka/luster dust mixture on top with a brush.

Lollipopstop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lollipopstop Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you Honey6983 for your suggestion. What do you mean by vodka dust mixture? Sorry if this question sounds dumb...do you mean actual vodka? Thanks

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 1:52am
post #4 of 5

Use vodka to water down the luster dust because the alcohol will evaporate quickly and won't dissolve the fondant or whatever it was you're painting on. If you want a really smooth finish you can get some edible paint for cakes. Rainbow dust makes my favorite one, it goes on really nicely and gives you a good smooth color.

Dewey_Durden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dewey_Durden Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 2:18am
post #5 of 5

My favorite way to achieve the gold color on a fondant cake it to airbrush it with AmeriColor airbrush colors (they have a flat gold color and also a metallic gold color).  If you are working with smaller details/decorations I like to use gold luster dust mixed with lemon extract.  I prefer the lemon extract over the vodka because it evaporated quicker and is easier to work with.  I have had some trouble in the past using vodka, it got a little gummy).  

You can play around mixing different ratios of dust to extract to getting the consistency you like best for the "painting" you will be doing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%