Scratch Versus Mix

Baking By lyrismom12 Updated 14 Nov 2015 , 7:18pm by -K8memphis

lyrismom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyrismom12 Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 4:35am
post #1 of 13

Het everyone, 

Not looking to start any major controversy here just been very curious. What is eveyone's opinion of using cake mixes versus making things from scratch? For flavor, for business, for decorating, anything you want to talk about. Thanks much guys!

12 replies
NatStan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatStan Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 6:21am
post #2 of 13

In my limited experience (I am just a hobby caker), most people seem to prefer doctored cake mix cakes iced with American buttercream, but when I bake for European immigrants (family and family friends) they prefer scratch made cakes with Swiss meringue buttercream. I think growing up in North America while eating grocery store cakes influences the average person's palate differently than growing up in a village in eastern Europe. I'm not saying one is better than the other (I will eat any and all cake!) but there is a definite difference in preference and I like to please whoever I'm baking for so I do both.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 11:30am
post #5 of 13

thumbsup.png     @julia1812  

You posted while I posted... with different links... cool.. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 11:34am
post #6 of 13

Lol...beat you by one minute stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png

But yes...there are plenty of threads with this topic

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 11:53am
post #7 of 13

purely an individual decision just like if you're going to refrigerate your fondanted cakes or not, boxers or briefs, cat/dog or both -- just whatever works for you

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 13

Coke or Pepsi, McDonalds or Burger King, Home cooking or restaurant take out, Buttercream or Fondant,  It's all Good to someone.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 13

I prefer scratch, but I grew up on mostly boxed. It doesn't take very long to make a scratch, but if you prefer boxed that's cool to.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 13

If your customers are happy with the cake, and you are happy with the way it bakes up, use whatever means you prefer.  I baked from mixes for many years before transitioning to scratch baking.  For me, I just couldn't ever get the flavor I wanted, so I tried a couple scratch recipes and was hooked.  I've eaten wonderful box mix cakes...I've eaten lousy scratch baked cakes, and vice versa....as long as your customers keep coming back, it's working for you!

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 13

I don't sell cakes so most of my experience comes from my family.  My family prefer scratch cakes with SMBC or ganache. That is what they are used to.  Some people do prefer the cakes from a mix with ABC.  They like the fact that the cakes are less dense and the frosting sweeter.  Everyone's taste is different.  It's a matter of knowing what your customer's prefer.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 14 Nov 2015 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 13

In my experience... its all about the icing. As long as the icing tastes great and the cake is fresh... most people don't know the difference.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Nov 2015 , 7:18pm
post #13 of 13

what she said ^^^^ abso.lutely

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%