How Deep Should I Aim To Make My Cakes?

Baking By hep275 Updated 26 Oct 2015 , 5:53pm by hep275

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 26 Oct 2015 , 7:37am
post #1 of 5

I find how much my cakes rise varies - even using the same recipe.  I do some novice (home cook) decorating now and then and wonder how deep I should be aiming to have the layers on a single or double tiered cake.  Sometimes I make 2 layers in separate sandwich tins, and sometimes I make one deeper cake and cut it.  Is there a 'typical' depth I should be aiming for when I do a single or double tiered cake?  I don't want to produce a frisbee!!  Many thanks,  Helen

4 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 26 Oct 2015 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Helen,

I usually bake two 1+ 1/2" layers.  I tort them both to 3/4" layers.  After stacked and iced, each tier is approx 4" tall.  This is pretty standard but some people like taller tiers and aim for a 5" tall tier.  It's really just a matter of preference.

It does take some practice cakes to see how much batter of each recipe you need to get the height you want.  Some of my recipes, I had to add and extra 1/4 to 1/2 of the recipe to get the height.  

hep275 Posted 26 Oct 2015 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks.  When I make a 'normal' victoria sandwich I quite often up the ratio of ingredients to get a deeper bake, but sometimes once I have levelled it I wonder if I should make another layer.  

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 26 Oct 2015 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, that is very frustrating when you start doing custom cakes and it takes some time to figure out.  I've found that wrapping my pans with cold, damp towels while baking, gives me a lighter, fluffier and taller layer.   I have the Wilton wraps but the towels do work better.

It's a lot of trial and error so hopefully everyone you know likes cake :)

hep275 Posted 26 Oct 2015 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks - and yes, a lot of people I know likes cake - especially my work colleagues who get various experiments to try out!!

I think the most popular cake I do - not one to decorate - is a rhubarb and custard one.  I also made beetroot brownies and a courgette, lemon and poppy seed cake - all very tasty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%