Uneven Cake

Decorating By thezohar Updated 23 Oct 2015 , 2:47am by thezohar

thezohar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thezohar Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 10:08am
post #1 of 16

i'm making my mothers wedding cake, 2 tiers, 8 and 10 inches. I just took the first 10 inch round out of the oven and it rose significantly more on one side than the other! I don't have enough ingredients to try again. Should I try to fix this? I'm thinking if i cut off part of the top and use it underneath to prop it up and use icing to glue it together I might be able to make it even enough?5627640a2bb5c.jpeg

15 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 10:51am
post #2 of 16

Wait and see how it looks like once it's cool. I normally have a doom too but after cooling it's hardly noticeable and I just need to trim a bit. I use a cake leveler to ensure I don't cut the layer crooked somehow. That would give you trouble when your wanot place the top tier on.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 16

If your cake is lower on one side than the other, take a tea towel and press down on the side that is uneven until it is even.  This works best immediately out of the oven, but may do the trick for you on this cake.  The cake in your photo actually looks fine, except it has a dome in the center.

Are you talking about the dome in the center?

*Last edited by Apti on 21 Oct 2015 , 2:29pm
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 16

Doming/cracking centers and low sides can result from several things:

Over-mixing - develops too much gluten, especially in a scratch recipe with AP flour.

Too hot of an oven -try 325 F.

Very thin pans - set the pans on a baking sheet.

A lower temp and baking strips wrapped around the pan can work wonders.  If you don't have baking strips, you can make your own by cutting a large towel into about 3 1/2 inch wide strips, folding them in half, soaking them in water, then wrapping them in a strip of foil then pin around the pans.

As for the layer you have baked, you might be able to trim and move some of the pieces around and glue it all together with buttercream, but sometimes things like that are really taking a risk.

thezohar Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 16

I guess the picture doesnt really capture whats gone wrong. One side of the cake is very low while the other side has risen just about the amount i expected. if you drew a line from the edge on one side to the edge on the opposite side you'd get a diagonal line. theres a bit of a dome but a dome is something i can deal with.

(i dont have a cake leveler unfortunately i just have a long serrated knife)

The recipe i'm using has both ap flour and cake flour, and says to heat at 350 but i might try adjusting it down a bit and using a cookie sheet for layer #2 tonight.

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 16

Do you have an oven thermometer?

thezohar Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 16

nope. im a student so im not working with a lot.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 1:28am
post #8 of 16

If it rose to one side, instead of in the middle, your oven may be uneven. That's what mine do and my oven isn't level. To fix this, I rotate the pan half way through baking.

You'd have to level the top anyways to be flat, so cut the top off so it's even. I too use a serrated knife, so no worries there! If you want flatter tops, most people say baking at 325F helps lessen the dome. And save the tops to make cakepops or cake parfaits <3

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 22 Oct 2015 , 1:31am
thezohar Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 2:21am
post #9 of 16

hm, all the other cakes i've made in this oven (all 8 inches) have come out just BARELY taller on one side so that might be made more extreme in the 10 round. I'll try turning the next layer i make partway through, thanks for the tip!

my issue with just cutting off the top as it was just a little dome is that the shortest part of the cake is REALLY short. If i cut to that i'd barely have any cake left!

this is sort of how it is:

562848253bb59.png

(excuse my sloppy mouse drawing. i am clearly not a master artist)

(also i generally save leftover cake tops and crumble them and mix it in with leftover icing/frosting for anyone around the apartment who just wants a bite of cake and not a slice)

*Last edited by thezohar on 22 Oct 2015 , 2:23am
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 3:06am
post #10 of 16

My oven does the same thing, just not that extreme.  Our kitchen floor is not perfectly level, or my stove is not perfectly level, or the racks & rack guides are not perfectly level.  Just locate which side is lowest, simple check with a level, and put a  chunk of aluminum foil under that side of the cake to lift up that side.  If you bake a lot of cakes, wrap the foil around the rack itself in that area.

then the rest of your hump issues are addressed perfectly by the bakers above.

RobertBarnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobertBarnett Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 7:28am
post #11 of 16

I would suggest you get more ingredients and try again. This is your mothers wedding cake and she deserves on that isn't a hack job.

Robert

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 12:49pm
post #12 of 16

The other problem, is that there just isn't enough cake in that pan.  The cake should have risen to the top of the pan so that after trimming off the dome, you're still left with 2" of cake.  It almost looks like enough batter for an 8" cake, but put in a 10" pan.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 16

I agree with Leah...while using baking strips might have helped with the overall levelness of the cake, it would not have risen to the top of the pan.  Even without trimming the "hump" you would still have ended up with a somewhat short layer.

fioremama60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fioremama60 Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 16

I'm would like make this cake!Someone  give me the ingredients ? thanks

Yasamin61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yasamin61 Posted 22 Oct 2015 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 16

Hi..

cake doesnot have enough space to spring..so it s not even. for.next cake just fill half and it will be so even no need to trim. good luck!!!!!!

thezohar Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 2:47am
post #16 of 16

I ended up redoing this layer entirely. I borrowed some ingredients from my roommates and skipped a lecture. I used more batter this time, 325 degrees, and turned it partway through. I didnt turn it early enough so its still slightly uneven but  it is MUCH better than the first attempt. 

i used that on my second 8 inch round as well, plus the pressing down with a tea towel, and it turned out almost perfectly even and flat.

Thanks so much for all your tips, guys! while i wish i could have avoided the problems altogether now i've learned quite a lot from this mistake! (plus my roommates are happy we get to keep the reject layer all to ourselves)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%